Trying to learn xcode 3.2 - lots of issues!

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by linkedlist, Feb 27, 2010.

1. linkedlist macrumors newbie

hi there, Im trying to learn Xcode and objective-c programming, I bought a mac last week and downloaded Xcode 3.2.1 -

I have a couple of books and have been trying to follow online tutorials, but in all but the simplest cases, ie helloWorld, I have repeatedly come across the problem that I get stuck because the tutorials are out of date for the version of Xcode I am using.

What should I do? I'd just like to get something working, just to feel like I have made some progress.

Also, I was wondering, until I can find some reliable tutorials, how would I go about creating a command-line project that allows me to program in Objective-C ? I just want to create some simple classes and send messages, but Xcode only gives me options for C, C++ and some things I dont yet understand. Is one of the other options the one I am looking for?

Thankyou!

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

You want a Foundation tool. Foundation is the non-GUI half of Cocoa (AppKit is the GUI half).

3. teek macrumors member

teek

You don't have the "Command Line Tool" project template ?

On the menu:

File -> New Project

Under "Mac OS X" you see "Application" - and when you click that you get the "Command Line Tool" project template.
    Select it and look at the options below.. In this case it's only one which is "Type" .

You probably want to select "Foundation" as type.

Hope this helps.

4. linkedlist thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I do have the Command-Line template, but the options are C, or C++ plus other things. There isn't an option for Objective-C per se - but as per the reply above, Im guessing that if I select Foundation, I will be using the objective C language.

Thanks

5. teek macrumors member

teek

I guess objective-c is default anyway. I'm also new to this so I don't really know.

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Maybe you need to post a screenshot. You're confusing people.

7. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

8. WoRm1337 macrumors newbie

thanks!

thanks a lot guys!! you saved my day!! hadnt seen the scroll bar!