Trying to load leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wcmorris, Sep 17, 2008.

1. wcmorris macrumors newbie

I am new to this site. I have a macbook pro. I had leopard loaded at the mac store several months ago and love it. I have bought a use mac laptop G4 with OS X on it. I ordered a new leopard disk for the used laptop. When I insert the disk into the drive it starts to read it then kicks it back out. I have check to make sure that the laptop has the right memory and processor and it does. Can anybody help me with this problem. Thanks

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

As far as I know, Leopard is shipped on dual-layer DVDs... Are you sure your G4 PowerBook has a driva that can read those?

3. kalex macrumors 65816

Does it conform to minimum requirements to load leopard? Does it have dvd reader or is it only CDs?

4. wcmorris thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it has a DVD reader but not sure how to find if it has duel reader. Where would I look? Yes it the minimum requirement

5. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

If it's serial number is M9969LL/A or M9970LL/A it will probably have a DVD DL drive. Only the last generation of PowerBooks had it...

http://support.apple.com/specs/#portablecomputers

Chances are your PowerBook is an earlier generation, since it cannot read a dual-layer DVD...

6. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Anyway, if it does not have a DVD DL drive, you could possibly (I'm not sure) still install Leopard on it. Just connect it to your MacBook Pro with via FireWire, and turn it (the PowerBook) on while holding the 't' key. This will set the PowerBook in what is called target mode, meaning that it will appear as an external harddrive on your MacBook. Then use the MacBook to install your second copy of Leopard on the PowerBook.

7. wcmorris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks pit29, I just bought a firewire cable and hooked the two macs together. It loaded leopard just fine. This was simple. Thanks for all the help.