Trying to make a bootable CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ariii, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

When I was in Terminal trying to burn an .img file (Mint Linux PPC installer) onto a flash drive, I did:

sudo if=/terminus/mini.img of=/Volumes/MintLinux/mini.img bs=lm

and got:

dd: bs: Invalid argument

Sorry, but I was pretty much just trying to follow the tutoruial from the MintPPC page(http://mintppc.org/content/installation-mintppc-92) for burning it onto a flash drive (Yes, the instructions are for 9.2, but it referred me to that page just to burn and boot from the USB drive). I have no idea what the bs=lm thing is, but I know the rest, and trying without adding it, the flash drive couldn't be booted, even from Open Firmware. (By the way, I tried to boot it from both a Clamshell Indigo iBook and a 1.33 GHz iBook G4. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You would be better off just using Disk Utility to make a disk from the img/iso. Simply enter your blank media, open Disk Utility, select the blank disc, select restore, locate (or drag and drop) your iso/img, then click burn. Done.

TEG

3. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Sorry, but I can't really. The computer that I'm trying to do the install on has a broken CD drive.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can do the same thing with a Flash Drive. It is basically the same process we use for making Lion keys.

TEG

5. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Yes! I finally, got it burned! Thank you! Except that my Mac can't boot it from Open Firmware, but that's for a different forum.