Trying to make a second Super Drive operational, amongst other things....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The Chuckster, Jul 23, 2007.

1. The Chuckster macrumors newbie

G'day, all. Have finally received my Pioneer 112D dvd/cd/etc drive from Newegg to install as my #2 (lower SuperDrive). Much like one of Sean's posts, my mac pro was ordered with only the one SuperDrive, and I ordered the Pioneer to use as the second. (The 'factory' SD is a Sony - odd, I thought they were Pioneer - and the Pioneer I ordered didn't come from Newegg with anything more than an owner's manual and bubble wrap.)

I hooked up the cables per the owner's manual for my MP, but I'm getting nothing from the second drive. Hitting Opt-Eject only ejects the top drive! Can someone walk me through the process of setting up these drives? Are the cables (power and ribbon) supposed to be hooked up in a particular fashion that I've missed, and/or does the jumper on the second drive need to be moved? I've tried it in Master and Slave positions, but neither does me any good.

Also, I got a 5-port USB PCI Card to add a few extra ports to the rear of my MP, but the one Newegg sent isn't correct. (So much for their assistance!) Simply put, the smaller of the two connecting tabs is on the outside of the card, whereas the mobo on the MP requires the two connecting tabs to be just the opposite. I trusted the guy I talked to to send the correct card, what should I have asked for?

Thanks in advance, this is driving me nuts...can anyone help?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

About the PCI Usb card. Is it PCI or PCI express? The Mac Pro only has PCI express slots, so if it is PCI, then it won't work.

3. The Chuckster thread starter macrumors newbie

PCI Card...

That would be it...I was sent a PCI card, and I need a PCI Express card. Wish I'd have figured that out before I talked to their 'tech support! Oh, well, time to buy another card...

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you considered using a powered USB Hub? They can be obtained pretty cheap and would work exactly the same way.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

As for the Superdrive, have you set the jumpers correctly? I would remove the jumpers altogether and give it a go. Jumpers are the tiny black plastic tabs that fit over the pins on the back of the drive (usually right between or next to the power cable plug).