Trying to make network for iMac and AppleTV using Linksys WRT54G2

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by douglh, Nov 19, 2008.

1. douglh macrumors member

To years ago I convinced a friend to dump his Windows computer and buy an iMac. He loves it. Two weeks ago he bought an AppleTV, but it wouldn't sync to his iMac. I lent him a spare Airport Express router and everything worked great. Then the router stopped working, so he plugged his ethernet cable back into his Cable-Internet modem. Computer worked, but AppleTV stopped syncing again.

I use a Linksys router so I told him to buy one as well. Mine works, but I can't get his to (the install CD is Windows only).

Googling around I thought I found the answer on Apple's website:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1784
    Click on "If you have a Mac" and the explanation expands without a new window opening. If you look at the picture, there's a big red circle around "Network Port Configuration". So I went over to his house to follow these instructions, and he *does not* have that menu option. Maybe it's a Tiger page? I don't know. It's not there on my wife's Mac Mini or my sons iMac either (all are Leopard).

So what's the answer? Is there a way to have the iMac and his AppleTV connect/sync wirelessly without a router? This link seemed to say so but that missing Menu Item put up a block. Or any instructions for getting the Linksys router working? (I use DSL, so a Cable Modem is alien to me).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. douglh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll give it a try in the next few days and report back.

3. douglh thread starter macrumors member

I was back at my friend's house this afternoon and everything works finally. Thanks again.