Trying to mount NTFS drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sherisdoppel, Jun 20, 2010.

1. sherisdoppel macrumors newbie

My Mac OSX does not recognize NTFS partition.
    By default, I know it should at least be on read-only mode but under Finder I see the drive not even being mounted.

I went to Disk Utility to see the NTFS partition, the one I installed my Windows 7 on, but it says the format is in MS-DOS(FAT) whereas I clearly see it shows as NTFS on Windows 7.
    There are about two files sized as 8.50GB stored on that drive so that should prove it's not clearly formatted in FAT system.

I try to verify the disk and it fails as follows:

Verifying volume “disk0s3”
    ** /dev/disk0s3
    Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: fcfcfc
    Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

The partition has Windows 7 installed as well as a lot of important data and I do not want to jeopardize it by choosing the option "Repair Disk" that I'm not even clearly sure of what it would do to the drive.

I'm using MacBook Pro i7 15" and if anyone could help it would be great.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

NTFS and FAT are fundamentally different file systems. The fact that two different operating systems report your partition as two different file systems implies that something may be amiss. My advice to you is to download and install the freeware NTFS-3G NTFS driver on your Mac. Re-examine the partition. If this fixes your problem, then don't worry about the rest. If it does not, then you should explain how the problematic NTFS partition came to be.

3. sherisdoppel thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used two different NTFS drivers, one being Paragon and the other being the one you suggested but no luck.
    Before anything, it just does not allow me to do anything on that disk utility nor it appears on the Finder.

4. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

You've supplied your own answer:

If you have access to a machine that has Windows 7 on it, put the HDD in that and see if it recognizes it.
    If it doesn't it is likely that one or both of the following has happened:

Partition tables are FUBAR
    MBR on the drive is FUBAR

You can easily repair the MBR on the drive using the Windows recovery console (does Windows 7 have this?), but if the partition tables are FUBAR then you will need to use data recovery software that can handle bad partition tables to get the data back. You'll then need to reformat.

5. sherisdoppel thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that it tells me the disk cannot be repaired.
    And the disk which shows as MS-DOS (FAT) perfectly works fine in Windows as NTFS.

The Mac Drive is fine. I can even access it via Windows, but the problem is Mac OSX does not recognize the NTFS drive at all.

My best bet is to repair the partition table like you said.
    Is there any software, on Mac or PC, that does that?

6. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Sorry about not replying sooner - as far as I know you can't 'repair' partition tables without re-creating them (that is delete the partitions and start again). What this means is that you'll have to retrieve the data off the drives from either another machine (maybe a Virtual Machine will work if you can't get a physical machine, not sure about this though).

7. es0x279e macrumors newbie

Hi, first post here!

I'm having exactly the same symptoms. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that I started the Bootcamp installation of Windows 7 with the FAT32 partition, and in the installer I reformatted it to NTFS.

Have you found any solution? (apart from reformatting again)

8. tarngerine macrumors newbie

I have this problem. Did you find a solution short of reformatting? I spent 2 days getting Windows set up and I really don't want to do it again.

9. es0x279e macrumors newbie

I didn't find a solution so I just reformatted and live happily ever after :) Sorry.