trying to mount osx on my firewire drive for boot up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fkntotalkaos, May 15, 2010.

1. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

My internal hard drive crapped out for some reason, I had the data backed up on a USB drive.
    How do I make a FW boot copy of my OS X disk so I can at least use my computer until I can figure out what hard drive to buy?:confused:

Question 2:
    .dmg files how do I copy the open .dmg file to mount on my hard drive so it will show up as a disk and not an .dmg image?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll need to install OS X on the firewire drive. You'd select the firewire drive from the drive selection screen in the OS X Installer when you run off the disc.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish.

Can you explain a bit more.

4. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

http://db.tidbits.com/article/08405
    Won't work. You can not select external drive to mount OSX 10.5 and above to

Trying to get my computer to work, with a blown internal hard drive using the LaCaie FW drive, until I have the time to open my mini and replace the hard drive which is dead and processor which needs a speed boost

this is what I found:

With your disc image mounted, open the Disk Utility application (Applications -> Utilities).
    Click the Restore tab (see it near the top of the Disk Utility window? Just after First Aid, Erase and RAID…)
    Drag your DMG file from the list on the left of your Disk Utility window to the “Source” field.
    Then, drag the icon of the partition you want to put the installer on to the “Destination” field. Again, do this from the left pane of your Disk Utility window. If you try to do this from the desktop (as I kept trying to do) you’re going to drive yourself bonkers.
    Click the “Erase Destination” check box so that it shows a check.
    I also skipped the Checksum. You might or might not want to do the same. Your call.
    Click Restore.
    Wait until done.

http://gwhiz.wordpress.com/2006/09/21/installing-leopard-from-dmg/

/shrug

I made 3 partitions. I have my mini FW in Target Disk mode to my MBP. I have my install disk for the mini in the mini optical drive. I am trying to copy the install Disk 1 as a mountable image to Untilted 1 on the USB drive 500mb samsung as shown. Then i will boot the Mini from the USB drive and install this on partition 2. I have no clue if it will work but here goes..

Attached Files:

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think you may be confusing some things -- or I am confused. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, when Apple transitioned from the PPC platform to the Intel platform, there were some hardware changes that resulted in different partitioning.

PPC --> APM

Intel --> GUID

If you partition your external HD with GUID, then install OS X on it, you can use it to boot your Mac. In fact, I do it with Snow Leopard and my MBP15. Internally I run Tiger. But when I want to run SL, I just boot to my external FW HHD.

However, I cannot use the same external FW HDD to boot my PB15 since it has the GUID partition system. I must repartition to the APM partition system. Because of the partition system difference, it creates the impression that you can't boot from an external FW HDD ... but you can.

Do you have the install DVD's for the Mac Mini?

If so, all you need to do, is boot from the Install DVD, then run Disk Utilities and partition your external LaCie FW drive as GUID, then format the HDD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then install Leopard on the external HDD.

When you are done, you might be able to use Disk Utilities on the external HDD to recover the internal HDD on your Mac Mini -- at least to the point of saving/recovering your data files. You also have the option of installing other good recovery programs for Mac OS X to use on your internal HDD.

On a side note, I see where you are trying to mount then recover using a DMG of the OS. If I may, I would suggest cloning using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper on a weekly basis to alternating external HDDs. That way, when your internal HHD dies in the future, you can merely boot to the cloned backup. Much simpler that way, and easier to do. Plus it puts you back in business in a matter of seconds. And if you also use Time Machine to another external HDD, you will have all your latest data files available to you.

Hope this helps. YMMV.

6. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, and I did exactly that, and when i try and select the firewire drive from the OSX start up disk it will not let me select the firewire drive to install to. I searched and read that Apple protected system software with 10.5 and it will not let you choose external drive to install system software to. I would take screen shots if I could from the mini, but it wont work as i am booted from system software disk

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

^ When you boot up the Mac Mini with the installation DVD, you will need to go to Disk Utilities via the install DVD and partition the external HDD with the GUID system before installing the OS.

While you are in Disk Utilities, I suggest formatting the external as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) before resuming the installation process.

Maybe this article will help a little even though it is referring to an external USB HDD and Snow Leopard.

Here's another article that might help.