Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZachPruckowski

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
OK, so here's what I have:
2x160 GB drives in a RAID-0 holding my boot drive
I want to move it do:
A) Ideally 2x250 GB drives in a RAID-0 or
B) A 400 GB drive.

I've tried:
Straight up copying/restoring in Disk Utility
Carbon Copy Cloner File-level
Carbon Copy Cloner Block-level

I can copy everything, but I wind up not having the system recognize the new drive(s) as a boot drive.

What can I try beyond re-installing Leopard on the new drive and migrating stuff over?

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
I've done this without problem. I've cloned from a 2x250GB raid 0 to a 400GB single drive, worked fine. I used Carbon Copy Cloner.

Are you formatting your drive as a GUID partition table and not MBR? (Assuming you have an Intel Mac Pro, that is).

My suggestion would be to try and just do a fresh load of your OS to this drive and see if that boots. Make sure you're not having a problem with those other drives or some other problem booting other drives. Rule out the cloning process.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I've done this without problem. I've cloned from a 2x250GB raid 0 to a 400GB single drive, worked fine. I used Carbon Copy Cloner.

Are you formatting your drive as a GUID partition table and not MBR? (Assuming you have an Intel Mac Pro, that is).

My suggestion would be to try and just do a fresh load of your OS to this drive and see if that boots. Make sure you're not having a problem with those other drives or some other problem booting other drives. Rule out the cloning process.

The OP doesn't wanna clone to a single drive. He/she likes to clone the contents of his/her existing drives to a larger, replacement set of drives.

I don't understand why the OP doesn't create new RAID setup with the new drives, install the OS as usual then attempt to copy all his/her work files and documents to the new drives.

Mac OSX is good in the way that you can have multiple copies of the OS stored on many drives. Then from pressing and holding the OPTION key (at startup), the OP can select which Drive to boot from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.