Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I have a 4/3 Mini DV video camera that has a 16:9 mode. Of course it shoots 4/3 and simply applies black bars above and below but it's messing up output.

Programs get confused and end up squeezing my video since the 'actual' video info identifies itself as 4/3.

Seeing how I can overcome that without constantly messing with program settings.

Most specifically it's youtube that gets confused and squeezes my perfectly fine 16:9 video lol

Thanks

edit:
it didn't fully answer my question but at least now I can get youtube to display my video properly.

Add 'yt:stretch=16:9' to the keyword tag area and it'll stretch the video back out.

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146402

additional info about formats:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=5c79de92d328bb27&hl=en

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
What program do you use to import the footage? And what camera do you use. It's the best to set the camera to 16:9 without adding black bars. If you use iMovie try to turn off iMovie adding black bars (cause iMovie adds those black bars when I import my footage, however I use fcp, so I don't know where to change the settings so that iMovie wont add those black bars).

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Programs get confused and end up squeezing my video since the 'actual' video info identifies itself as 4/3...
The term for that is Anamorphic. Technically (please correct me) the video is shot at widescreen mode (16:9) then squeezed at NTSC DV (4:3).
It all depends how you set it up in NLE e.g. Final Cut, Avid....
Then you can output properly to widescreen DVD.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
My camcorder was a gift, so no complaints from me :D and it is a Sony DCR-PC1.

It is a SD 720x480 camcorder which shoots 4:3 but it also has a 16:9 mode.

This mode is a bit of a phantom mode as the video it produces is indeed viewed nicely in 16:9 on screen but when you look at the file properties of the output file it shows 720x480.

Both Windows Movie Maker and Corel Studio, when set properly will import and display the file in 16:9. Everything is just right.

Both will output in 16:9 and the proportions are correct but the processed file properties still show it as 720x480.

This is what messes up youtube. It thinks the file is 4:3 and squishes the sides in.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
It is a SD 720x480 camcorder which shoots 4:3 but it also has a 16:9 mode...
yes that is correct. again the process I explained earlier is anamorphic. the trick is to find an app thatll deal with it correctly.
Youtube lets you show videos in 16:9 mode.
Not sure but is there an option for that on the Youtube site when importing?
And yes that is the size format for the NTSC DV video 720x480. Again with Anamorphic as the recording option (16:9), you have to make sure the app that converts it exports back to widescreen 16:9.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
The term for that is Anamorphic. Technically (please correct me) the video is shot at widescreen mode (16:9) then squeezed at NTSC DV (4:3).
It all depends how you set it up in NLE e.g. Final Cut, Avid....
Then you can output properly to widescreen DVD.

Just for a bit of background, the anamorphic 720x480, shot with square pixels, is neither 16x9 or 4x3 (it's 3:2). So both formats need stretching to appear in proper perspective. The program just needs to know which, and usually assumes 4:3 correction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.