Trying to play a game on MBP 15" 2012 model and can't

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nizmoz, Dec 25, 2012.

1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

It's laggy very bad. FPS 8-10 fps only with everything on low? I finally tried to play a game with this machine and I can't do it. I don't get what is wrong.

Windows 7, Bootcamp, 16gb of ram, 650M 512mb card, resolution I tried 1024, 1600x, 1920x, with all on low.

The game was Metal of Honor Warfighter. Also tried BF3 it had similar issues.

Any ideas what I can do? Because I want to get rid of my gaming rig for a new IMAC but need the laptop for now to use for gaming and I bought this high end machine for a reason to handle stuff like this. :/

It's the CMBP with Matte High Resolution screen, 256gb SSD, Bootcamp to Win7, 16gb of ram. Using external display 27" Apple Cinema and it's running at 2560x1440 in Windows, but not in the game.

Any ideas?

2. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow so many views and no help. Amazing.

Well, I dug and dug, and finally found this info below that resolved it. I now get over 30 fps mostly around 50 fps in the game now. I did notice though the laptop got very hot and it seems the fps dropped a bit when it did. So I have to leave the lid open and have a laptop cooler below it to help and now it works well. Any more advice that may help, please let me know. I will play with this setup for a week to see how it does, then I will start to tear apart my gaming rig to sell it all and switch over to the MAC side 100%.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4358807?start=0&tstart=0

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC."

3. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Have you tried a fan control application for boot camp? My old 17 c2duo I used one and it helped more than a laptop cooler.

I did the opposite on what you plan to do. I sold my iMac and built a gaming rig. If you are an avid gamer I would keep your gaming rig. Gaming on Mac is getting better. There is more freedom with a windows machine when it comes to customization.

4. Daniel L macrumors 6502

I have to do this every time I reboot into Windows on my rMBP

5. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm. Hopefully I don't but I guess we will see. I really want a nice IMAC. I do game every day, but I am sick of Windows period. I will use it for gaming, but rather use everything else on the MAC side. That is why I want to try this for a while to see how it goes.

----------

Not yet. Got a recommendation of one?

6. nephilim7 macrumors regular

it's been covered in many threads.

7. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Obviously not as it didn't come up itb searches and had to look at apple discussions area on another site.