Trying to play Mass Effect on TinyXP partition, problems galore

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dman01, May 18, 2011.

1. Dman01, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

Dman01 macrumors newbie

I finally installed XP on boot camp and I was hoping to be able to play some of my PC Steam games. However, when checking if I could run the game with "Can You Run It," I came to find that the site wasn't able to detect my video card. Neither was Dxdiag. It wasn't even listed.

I tried running the game anyway, seeing as how I was in the green in every other criteria Can You Run It checked, but I got an error message saying this:

"Failed to compile global shader FDOFAndBloomGatherFallbackPixelShader

RaiseException() Address = 0X7c812aeb (Filename not found)
    CxxThrowException() Address = 0x7815e89 (Filename not found)
    GMatrix2D::Swap() Address = 0x10da7b63 (Filename not found)
    Address = 0xe871b4c (Filename not found)"

I called the Mac people and they suggested that I needed to install Boot Camp's updates (I was running on 3.0, so... twice). Did that, rebooted (twice) and launched the game again.

Same error message as above.

So I'm a little confused. I've read posts from other people who claim that they can run this game with my very specs without any problems. On Boot Camp, with TinyXP, and I don't know anything about drivers so I don't know what I'm missing.

Can anyone help me out? This is practically the only reason I set up an XP on my mac.

I'm running everything on a 2010 Macbook Pro.

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Assuming your on 32-bit Windows XP:

1.) Install Service Pack 3

2.) Run Windows Update until no Updates are left

3.) Run Apple Software Update

4.) Install the Visual C++ 2005 x86 Redistributable

5.) Run Windows Update

6.) Update Your Nvidia Video Card Drivers

7.) Install the Latest DirectX Runtime Updates

8.) Delete your Mass Effect Folder in My Documents\Bioware (WARNING, you will loose any Saved Games you have not backed up)

9.) Verify and Defragment your Mass Effect Steam Game Cache

Note: There might be a shader cache folder in your Mass Effect folder that should probably be deleted (but you'll have to Google that one).

Quick question, your running Windows natively using Boot Camp right? Your not on VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop are you?