Trying to pre-order

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by minicard, Sep 13, 2015.

1. minicard macrumors regular

minicard

I am trying to pay full price for a 128Gb 6s plus at the Apple website. I want to get the Verizon version, However, I can't complete my order unless I start a new account/contract with Verizon. I just want to buy a contract free Verizon version since it is unlocked and I can use it internationally when I travel. I will also be able to pop in my ATT sim card and continue with my contract with them (my mother in law will get the old phone which I already had it unlocked).

2. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I also tried to preorder a Verizon phone online in order to use it on Selectel, a prepaid MVNO that uses Verizon towers. As you saw, it's a no-go online. Evidently, Verizon and/or Apple have decided that only Verizon customers can preorder the Verizon phone online. I would love to hear a logical reason for this, but I doubt there is one.

So . . . I reserved a Verizon 64GB at the nearest Apple Store for the 25th and will have the "pleasure" of making a 90-mile round trip for a phone that should have been delivered to my home.

I have also heard that you can walk into a Verizon store on the 25th or later and buy one at full price without contract, depending upon stock.

3. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

When you press pre order select replace current device and you will pay full price. When the phone arrives you may use your AT&T Sim Card.

4. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Did you try this?

I've tried it several times and would like to be wrong. From what I can see, to preorder a Verizon 6S on the Apple website or the store app, you have to have a Verizon account or create one. If you choose replace current device and pay full price, when you continue you will have to enter information so they can find your account. I can't see a way to buy a Verizon 6S online without a Verizon account.

5. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I am also on AT&T and I purchased the T-Mobile version since I don't have any account details for Verizon or any other carrier. I couldn't order an AT&T one since I'm on a business plan. The full price T-Mobile phone from Apple is unlocked so you should have no trouble with that instead of Verizon.

6. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I haven't been following threads today, but do we know for certain that the full-price T-Mobile phone has the same exact bands as the Verizon?

As of yesterday, there was confusion whether the two did or did not have the same bands. When you choose the T-Mobile, it says GSM phone. If it's been cleared up today, then great.

7. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

If Jobs we're still alive, and you emailed him, I'm 100% sure he would of given you a free case or applecare for your troubles, if not a free upgrade to 128GB for this. If you can find Cook's email address, send him an email of exactly what you typed there. :).

8. Vampire5003, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Is Band30 important to you?

Based on what I read, there are two models of every GB config of iPhone 6S and 6S+. As AT&T's Band30 is a separate device for some reason.

If that band is important to you then you might want to cancel your order for the TMO version and get an order for the AT&T version.

9. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Oh. OK. Without a Verizon account, buy the T-mobile full price. It will send you strait to your credit card/debit card info and pay.

10. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint all use the same phone. At&t uses the other model that includes band 30.

11. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I would like it, but I don't really care. As far as I know, it is either not rolled out yet and is barely starting to roll out, and I'm only going to have this phone for the next year. It's not worth the hassle and waiting an extra month or more to get an extra band that likely won't make a huge difference in the next year. If one of my local stores has an AT&T model within the return period, I may exchange it, but that seems unlikely. Is band 30 for increased speed, range, or both?

12. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I have read that suggested and a PC Mag article saying that, but others said it wasn't confirmed. It would have been nice if the online store spelled out that the T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint phones all had the same bands and were, in fact, the same phone.

13. minicard thread starter macrumors regular

minicard

I chatted with Apple rep. As usual useless info from them. Couldn't tell me why I couldn't buy the Verizon full price. Told me I could buy the TMobile but would need to use it with TMO sim. At this point, I'll just wait until it is available at the Apple store.

14. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I had a similar chat. I'm doing the same as you just to remove any questions.

15. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

It's pretty clear on this page.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

16. Broadus macrumors 6502a

It does seem to be. For what it's worth, I just got off the phone with an Apple customer service rep who said that even the contract free T-Mobile 6s is not SIM-free, that it can be activated only to T-Mobile accounts. According to this rep, even though the phone may be able to run on a CDMA pre-paid carrier, it would not recognize any other SIM card.

I was told that the phones were locked to one of the four major carriers, even those purchased full price, which makes no sense to me.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

Just order the AT&T version full price using your account number. As long as you buy it from apple.com it will be unlocked. That said, AT&T tacks on another $15 fee.

18. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Your rep was wrong. What we're doing here (using phones from other carriers) is not encouraged by Apple. The carriers are their partners and they want you to only buy phones from your carriers. It's best to ignore any info from customer service about these questions because they either don't have correct info, or they don't want you to work the system.

The T-Mobile phone is always unlocked when purchased from Apple for full price. It's best to take the included sim out and insert yours before the first power on, just to be safe.