Trying to Preserve Location Information When Exporting Photos from iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JPM42, Oct 23, 2014.

1. JPM42 macrumors 6502

I am currently trying to copy over my iPhoto Library into my iCloud Photo Library using the Rollit app. I'd like to preserve all the EXIF information, particularly location.

Since some pictures were taken on older digital cameras, or were scans, I had to manually add the location information in iPhoto. However, when I export these photos (and videos) and transfer them to my iPhone, the location is not preserved. The dates are, but not the location.

I have tried exporting using the Current option. Am I using the wrong option? And if I can't do it in iPhoto, is there another application on the Mac that can do this? And will exporting these photos with the location information in place cause a quality loss?

Thanks!

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Dunno if this will fix your exact problem but in the Export... dialog box from iPhoto you need to check the appropriate boxes under "Include" to get location info and other metadata. Otherwise, and I think by default, it is NOT included.

3. JPM42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Rob. By saving it as a JPG, and including "location info" and other meta data, that did the trick. However, my one concern is, by doing this, is that iPhoto essentially re-saved the photos as JPGs again, right?

In other words, is there a way to do this without re-saving it as a JPG, and thus avoiding any quality degradation? Thanks!