Trying to print from Windows PC to Mac mini

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wolfpackfan, Feb 6, 2015.

1. wolfpackfan, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015

wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I have just setup a new (well rebuilt) Windows PC for my wife to use and I am trying to set it up so my wife can print to the printer I have connected on my Mac mini (Yosemite). I have sharing enabled on both and on my mini I have shared the printer. From my Mac I can see the files located on the PC that I've setup to share, so that tells me that I can see the PC from my mini. But for some reason I can't access anything on my mini from the PC. I have enabled both File and Printer sharing on the mini. Any suggestions of things to check? Thanks for your help.

Additional information - if this helps on the PC side, when I try to access the Mac, it keeps asking for credentials but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is asking for. I've tried my logins for my Mac and my PC and it rejects then both.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does the printer have an ethernet port or is wifi accessible? The easiest solution there would be to hook the printer up to the router.

What about sharing the printer from your windows machine and letting the mac access it, instead of the other way around.

Networking/device sharing between windows and OSX has always been a pain in the butt. I've always seem to have issues.

3. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

I got it figured out. You have to install the Apple Bonjour Printer Services program to print to an Apple computer. I installed that and it is working fine now and the wife is happy.