Trying to protect my screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gaelan, Jun 13, 2007.

1. gaelan macrumors regular

I'm getting my first iPod with the iMac I just ordered. I want to protect the screen for sure. Should I go for the full body protection?

I've used shieldzone.com for my phone screen protector and my wife's Nano. I've also used decal girl for a DS skin and screen protector.

I noticed that decalgirl.com offers full body skins and screen protectors for iPods, so does shieldzone.com for a premium price.

Does anyone know if one company's products are preferred over another for iPod protection? Also, should I get an iMac screen protector?

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Depends on what you are doing in the room with the iMac:rolleyes:

I wouldn't bother getting one for the iMac, but if you are into throwing rotten tomatoes around your room then you might conisider one. (small children can actually do more damage than rotten tomatoes- especially if they get a hold of rotten tomatoes!:D ) So if you have kids, get one. Just kidding, I have kids and never have worried about my screen on my iMac- I just keep my laptop out of the reach of my kids hands (and rotten tomatoes!)

I am sitting here editing my post thinking to myself why the heck I am on a rotten tomato kick?!?!

3. jarinehart macrumors newbie

I've got an imac as well and two kids under 4, and except for the occasional fingerprint they really don't bother it too much. I did get a keyboard cover for my laptop though, so that i lessened the amount of oils and stuff getting on the screen when i closed it.

Worst experience i ever had was when my 1-year-old found a pencil close to my old Tibook when i wasn't around and when i went back to it later i found little pencil drawings all over it (screen, keyboard, casing). Luckily the little tyke wasn't strong enough to puncture the screen with the pencil. I tried all kinds of LCD safe cleaners to clean the screen and nothing worked, so i sucked it up and very carefully erased the marks. It worked and I have never had a problem again.

4. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

~2 years ago I got my first lcd display. it was a cheap 17" westinghouse, but within a week one of my 2 kids (under 4 at the time) somehow scractched the screen in the lower right corner. It was/is barely visible, but when you are in love with something like I was with this screen, it is impossible to ignore. 2 years later and I've long gotten over the anger and several months of depression that followed (j/k), but since I have a new 20" iMac coming, I can't help but be concerned.

I guess I just have to have faith that last two years of maturing and the memory of the severe beating (again, j/k) from the last scratch will help them resist messing with my new mac.

Maybe with the screen spanning option used, the 17" can act as a decoy for all kid abuse.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

For those social services people getting ready to call this one in, j/k stands for just kidding.:D

Duct tape works well too! But the sticky residue is a mess to clean off the kids wrists! (J/K!)

I can understand your delimma. Where is the iMac located? mine is located in my office and I let the kids in there but it is to either play on their own iMac or play on a drum set in the middle of the room or play on the floor. (I also keep the duct tape handy in the top right desk drawer- J/K again!!)