trying to put a virtual machine onto an external drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kasuke06, Feb 26, 2011.

1. kasuke06 macrumors newbie

This has probably been posted before, but i could really use some help.

I'm running a macbook(2ghz, 2gb,10.5.7) and quickly running out of space(500-ish mgs left) and have parallels 4.0.3848 and have tried dragging and dropping the folder from documents on to the external drive, but it gives me error code 0 "Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred" have also tried dragging it while holding command and get the same error

also tried dragging the .pvm file onto the drive and still got the same error

the external drive is a hitachi, uses usb cables(2 connection to the computer, 1 to the drive itself) fat32 format, and has more than enough space for the files

2. simsaladimbamba

The FAT32 file system (format) will limit you to a maximum file size of 4GB. Either partition it via Disk Utility and add an HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) partition or find another way.

Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.
    Format Your Hard Drive Using Disk Utility
    Partition Your Hard Drive With Disk Utility

3. kasuke06 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to partion the drive now, 2 partitions with with mac os extended(journaled) format? that sound right for this? also, will it wipe the rest of the drive out?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes.

Partitioning will not erase any data you have on the HDD, if that is what you worry about.

5. kasuke06 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, and i should have been more specific,my bad. I was trying to ask if it would wipe the external.

6. simsaladimbamba

It will not wipe the external HDD, but Disk utility gives you a warning if it does, as it displays status messages after you hit "apply", which explain what will be done.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

???

By default if you select a new partition scheme in disk utility it will wipe the HDD. :confused:

B

8. simsaladimbamba

I should have clarified I guess.
    If one selects the HDD and then the PARTITION tab, one can click the little "+" button below the partition diagram to add another partition.
    I did it yesterday, twice, and no data has been deleted.

9. kasuke06, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

kasuke06 thread starter macrumors newbie

finally finished copying away the files, and when i tried to partition it gave me an error saying it could not unmount the disk on the external drive,

10. kasuke06 thread starter macrumors newbie

never mind, i just neded to restart the computer(run out of battery by accident) everything is partitioned and copying properly so far, thanks for all the help