Trying to recover files from a corrupted external hd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by littlekenneth, Aug 14, 2009.

1. littlekenneth macrumors member

Hi,

I have posted on this forum a few months ago to ask how to rescue my data file from my external harddisk (WD). I was told to use Data Rescue II to recover files, however, i wasn't able to recover data after using the data rescue. I wondered if there are any other ways to recover files from the hd? I tried to use the thorough scan function, I was able to recover the folder, but I am not able to recover files or open files. I tried to give up on the hd and format the hd, but I wasn't able use the data utility to format the hd. Can you please let me know what can i do to recover the data? I have already called WD for a new harddisk, so I would like to find ways to recover the file. Please let me know. Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

Seems like the diskwarrior is pretty good... I don't mind to pay for another software, but i don't want to spend another $100 for something that is going to be a waste like my disk rescue because it wasn't able to recover the file. I want to know if there is any kind of warranty in case the software can't rescue my data? Thanks

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Unfortunately, neither of those products have a warranty for things like this.

DiskWarrior works quite well when the situation is right. Put it this way, if, when the drive is connected, it shows up in Disk Utility, then DiskWarrior can *probably* fix it or at least help recover your files. That means that, even if the disk won't mount and won't show up on the desktop, if Disk Utility can at least SEE IT, then DiskWarrior is a good bet.

If the disk doesn't show up at all in Disk Utility, you're probably out of luck.

5. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

At the Disk Utility, I was able see the my external hd but I wasn't able to use the clean function, format function, and any other functions. Would I still be able to retrieve data under this condition?

I have used the Data Rescue II and was able to see the my hd under the software. I was able to rescue the folder name, but wasn't able to open the .jpg file that was rescued. Would DiskWarrior perform better than Data Rescue? Thanks

6. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member