Trying to recover pictures from an iPhone 4 - owner doesn't know passcode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ideal.dreams, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

My boss brought in his wife's iPhone 4 with the hope that I could connect it to my computer and pull her pictures off of it. They have both gotten new cell phones and are looking to get rid of the iPhone 4 but want to recover the pictures from it before they do.

Well, the phone sat on my desk for a good month or so because it wouldn't power on. Finally had an opportunity to go to an Apple Store on Monday and they got it to power on so it's functional at this point, but my boss's wife does not recall the passcode. Who ever had used it before me tried a few different times as I was immediately locked out for 5 minutes upon typing in the wrong code. I've tried two codes she thought might be correct but those both failed. I'm now locked out for an hour.

I'm worried that if I enter another wrong code that the phone is going to completely reset and the pictures will be gone. My boss's wife has no backups of her device (pretty sure she's never connected it to a computer and definitely no iCloud backups) so the only way to get these pictures off is to do it via computer.

Anyone have any thoughts or is there pretty much no way to recover these photos? I'm guessing not.

2. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

Data recovery companies, search local yellow pages, vet for it by reviews.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

chscag

You guessed right, unless you can find those folks who helped the FBI crack the San Bernardino terrorist's iPhone 5c. :(

4. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Ahh you guys, I was going to make an FBI joke in the OP but figured it wouldn't be long before someone did it for me :p. Oh well...that's why you should always have backups, kids! Hopefully she remembers her code for her last remaining attempt, otherwise these pictures are outta here.

5. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I'm pretty sure the option to wipe after 10 attempts is off by default. I'd think that someone who doesn't plan enough to do backups would not toggle on the setting to wipe the phone after 10 attempts. I'd just keep on guessing.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Basics.

Start with 5 associate'sbirthdays if she has 4 digit set up which I assume she does?