Trying to reinstall leopard (but it's kind of complicated)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by techlover828, May 17, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

So, my computers running leopard right now, and I want to reinstall it. The problem being, I have a drop in copy of leopard, which I am now realizing is not just a full copy of leopard but rather an upgrade disk, meaning you need to have tiger running, and you can't reformat your drive and then install leopard from the disk, at that's how it appears. I would just grab the tiger dvd that came with the computer, but my mom moved all of my stuff and I don't know where it is. So, does anyone have any good ideas on how I can reformat to leopard, or is it not possible without the tiger disks. If it isn't possible, does apple offer to send a new set of disks if the original are lost? Thanks for any help.

2. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ok, after looking for the disks for a while, I don't think I'm going to find them. Will apple send me some know ones? If they do, does anyone know how to request them? thanks, if not, does any one have a set that I could have or buy for cheep, I could return them back to you since I won't even be using that license. I appreciate your help again.

3. The General macrumors 601

I don't think there's any sort of "upgrade" disc for Leopard. Where did you get it?

Nevermind, guess there is:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/01/leopard-spotlight-the-upgrade-disc-gripe/

Pff, this is the lamest thing ever. I'd just go find a copy of Leopard elsewhere if I were you ... you obviously own a license for Leopard so I don't see grabbing a torrent as illegal.

4. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Exactly same thing happening with me at the moment, just the story is a little less in depth. I own licenses for both my MBA and iMac therefore I'm currently downloading an installation disk image. I'll put this on my new (6th) external hard drive and let it install of that. Definitely a cheaper way to go over here as DL DVDs are around £15-20 for 10-20.

Good luck and if you need any help i'll be happy to answer pms etc. OH and i'm also setting up an x86 machine to clone both MBA and iMac ;)

5. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

6. ColinEC macrumors 6502

I have a "CPU Drop-in DVD" and have used it to format my computer many times.

It just scans your computer before starting the installation for a previous version of Mac OS X, doesn't matter if it's Tiger or Leopard - it just needs to make sure you already have a copy of Mac OS X installed.

Yesterday I completely formatted and reinstalled Leopard on my iMac with the drop-in DVD.

Boot off that disc and give it a shot.

7. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Don't be in such a hurry to reformat...

... when you can Archive and Install instead. I recommend archive and install so often you would think I got paid for each one. :cool:

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The OP didn't say why he wanted to reformat. He may have wanted to clean the computer free of everything and start over fresh. Archive and Install won't do that.