Trying to Reinstall Original OS on MBA to sell

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msw123307, Sep 24, 2014.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

Trying to get rid of my 2011 MBA. I can't remember the original OS, but I'm trying to re-install it.

I'm assuming it was Lion, because it's prompting me to install Lion 10.7. I've tried "Internet Recovery" ..but basically the issue I'm having is I want to sell this computer, and the original OS should be tied to the machine, and NOT to my Apple ID. Before it comes to the step where it wants to install Lion, no matter what, it keeps asking for my Apple ID. I want to install the original OS, that's it. I've tried booting normally, Internet Recovery, and I keep coming back to the same prompt asking me to sign in to the App Store.

Any help?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just go ahead and enter your AppleID when prompted to do the download. All that does is allow you access to Apple's servers to get the OS installer. It does not in any way tie your AppleID to the machine when you sell it.

Of course, the new owner would not be able to reinstall the OS unless they had purchased Lion under their AppleID.

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? Wow. Thanks. That is an easy fix then. I read about how you DON'T want to have the Apple ID tied to the OS, but if that doesn't do it then I guess I should be good then.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... if you want a little more detail, you can read my comments in this thread.

5. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just read, great detail makes me feel a lot better. Haha. Want to make sure before I ebay this thing. I went ahead and erased both the Partition and the main drive. No need to mess with the "Disk1" restore volume I'm guessing?

Crazy how we now have all these headaches because of the ditching of physical media. ha. Thank you for your assistance.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct. If you erased Macintosh HD and reinstalled you are good to go!