trying to reinstall osx. problems. help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mikexmayhem, Jan 1, 2011.

1. mikexmayhem macrumors newbie

So I was trying to reinstall the os for a nice clean up. Transferred some files to an external source and proceeded to reinstall the os. I get the "Mac os x can't be installed on this computer". Turns out its a snow leopard disc from a MacBook pro box. Not gonna work. But before I knew all that I used the disk utility to erase my hdd. Now I got nothing. Not even a drive to boot to. The only thing that shows up for startup discs is the install disc in the disc drive and network disc or something. So obviously i need the right install disc. But what else do i need to do to fix this. Help!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you do not have the disk that shipped with your laptop then, I think, your only option if you need a fix asap is to buy a retail version from a store.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

And if you just buy the Snow Leopard retail disk you will not get the iLife applications like iPhoto, so you'd need to buy the box set.

4. topcat5665 macrumors newbie

topcat5665

You need disk 1 that came with your computer. If you have lost it, then you should go to an applestore.
    Disk 2 has the applications.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Buy Snow Leopard for $30 and reload the OS, then look for ilife 09 or 11 on Craigslist.