Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Long story short, I deleted an app I no longer need, but their icon remains on my taskbar. Is there a way I can delete it?

I'm new to Macs & any help would be greatly appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Long story short, I deleted an app I no longer need, but their icon remains on my taskbar. Is there a way I can delete it?

I'm new to Macs & any help would be greatly appreciated.
Try holding the Command key and dragging it off. If that doesn't work, you probably have parts of the app that you haven't removed. The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
By the way, what app was it?

ccf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Try holding the Command key and dragging it off. If that doesn't work, you probably have parts of the app that you haven't removed. The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
By the way, what app was it?

I tried Command-drag & it doesn't work. The app is Crickett mobile. I used it sometimes when our Satellite internet was down. I live in the sticks & recently got a new type of internet & it works great (radio waves). It's much cheaper, faster, & no cap.

I'll follow your instructions. Thanks. :thumbsup:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It's probably also worth noting for the future that Mac OSX does not have a taskbar anywhere. The bar at the top is the menu bar.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
I'd get AppDelete and use it every time you want to delete an App. It deletes all of the app, works great!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'd get AppDelete and use it every time you want to delete an App. It deletes all of the app, works great!
AppZapper, AppCleaner, CleanApp, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
AppZapper missed 13 items
AppCleaner missed 11 items
AppDelete missed 8 items
Hazel missed 9 items​
I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked in my last post)

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

ccf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
It's gone now. :)

And thanks for the correction about it being called a menu bar (instead of a task bar) as well as the software discussion.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Well, the Windows task bar is at the bottom of the screen (normally). The thing at the bottom of your Mac's screen is called the Dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.