Trying to remove Norton.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rosss, Jun 14, 2007.

1. rosss macrumors newbie

I'm trying to remove Norton but I don't remember the password. Would someone know how to get around this?
    Thank.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What password? I hate Norton. I did a complete reformat and reinstall when I got rid of it on my Mac, and haven't looked back.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Norton hater #2 here !

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

#4 here.

And there's a password? And you don't remember it? The only way to get rid of Norton is a complete reformat. Sorry about the bad news. I recommend getting ClamXav or something free on the reinstall, if you're really worried about passing any viruses onto a PC.

5. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Can I say 5, 6, and 7. On the Mac, Norton's products caused more problems then they solved. Don't know about the PC side.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Just as crappy.

If on a PC, I recomend AVG Free and Tiny Personal Firewall.

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Isn't the password the same one that gives you administrator rights? The one that you'll need to type in when you are installing stuff, etc.

When on a pc I highly recommend NOD32

8. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Mac don't need no antivirus. ....... yet anyways.

Do yourself a favor, reformat. I had to do that to get rid of viewpoint viewer. Best thing I ever did.

Oh, norton sucks. May they die a quick death.

9. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Like I said, if you're worried about passing viruses onto PC's. And I personally think the best Antivirus for PC is Kaspersky--When I installed that it found and actually could delete viruses that no other program had found or that could only quarantine them.

11. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I think the best virus program out there is Avast for PC. Oh and its FREE.

12. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

My girlfriend recently bought a Macbook (she's switching from a PC) at the local Apple store (without ME, her supernerd boyfriend.. guh).

They recommended and sold her Norton. I wanted to go down there and beat them with a shovel.

13. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Ohhh young grasshopper. Free fits the wallet perfectly. After Kaspersky I switched to Mac so I've never used Avast. So I guess from my experience (not the same as everyone in the world) Kaspersky was the best.

@slughead
    Why didn't you beat them?:confused: And what were they doing selling Antivirus software??:confused: :confused:

14. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Making money, I guess.

They told her since she has a PC she should watch out for viruses going from her new mac to her PC. She's a smart girl but not very computer savvy, so they must have seriously overstated the problem. I told her not to buy the definition updates when the time comes.

15. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

16. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

can anyone tell me why norton sux? cuz i have norton antivirus on my blackbook... pls advise! :confused:

17. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I would like to help you out, but I can't quit staring at your name...;)

If you have norton and you have no complaints about it, don't let this forum make you go out and buy another antivirus program (although there are free ones appearantly). When I was running Norton on PC it sucked up all my resources and slowed my machine way down and when it found viruses all it did was quarantine them. It would never delete or really fix the problem. Then there were Liveupdate issues, horrible costumer service, they automatically upgraded me at the end of my subscription without my permission and that was a hassle.... and then uninstallation was about the most painful thing in the world. Not sure I ever got everything completely off my old dell. Those were just some of my experiences, but like I said if you're not having problems with it then don't worry at the moment, but change once your subscription is over. Your computer will thank you.

18. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

thanks that was a lot of information and i will consider removing my norton software. it crossed my mind it might use a lot of resources on my mac, but never did an experiment of before and after. on my dell xps desktop which uses windows, i think its wise i keep my norton on all the time.

19. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i have never had NAV on my mac, so i don't know what password you are referring to (admin password?). but appzapper might help, it tends to remove stubborn apps quite brilliantly.

as others have pointed out, AVG free is highly recommended. NAV ruled during the win95 era but it pretty much sucked after that. i read it somewhere that the lead-and-mean AVG tends to catch new viruses more effectively than the resource-hogging NAV.

20. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

this is too much change, cant wrap my mind around it. thanks for the link, ill have to do some research...