Trying to remux a broken MP4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by The General, Sep 28, 2008.

1. The General macrumors 601

I have some episodes of BSG that I bought on iTunes and I decrypt them so I can play them on my PS3, but they appear to be broken. They play just fine on my PS3 and in VLC and MplayerOSX, but I need them to play right in Quicktime so I can reimport them into iTunes for streaming to my PS3 instead of using a USB drive to play them, and also for convenience.

The error is "An invalid sample description was found in the movie." yet it plays fine in VLC. I get the feeling that its broken, and I just need to remux it to an MP4 or something like that.

I tried using VLC to do this but it doesn't work right, though I might be doing it wrong.

MP4Box doesn't want to pack the AC-3 audio channel into the MP4. Look I really don't know what I've doing and need some help... :(

2. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Okay I figured out how to do it with VisualHub. Just set passthrough for both audio and video, but I am still losing the 5.1 audio. How can I fix that?

3. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Oh, anyway, if you decrypt a video with Requiem and Quicktime gives you this error:

The movie could not be opened
    An invalid sample description was found in the movie

The solution is to rename the file from *.mp4 to *.m4v. :D

4. nutt318 macrumors newbie

As crazy as it seemed, renaming them from .mp4 to m4v worked.

5. greymfm macrumors newbie

6. sdipietr macrumors newbie

2017 solution.
    Upload the video to Facebook as a Post, and mark it as private, then download it off Facebook and delete the Facebook post. Facebook recodes it perfectly.