Trying To Repair 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by awill94, Oct 21, 2015.

1. awill94 macrumors newbie

awill94

Hello Everyone,

I have spent the past few days trying to repair my MacBook Pro 2011 13 inch. I've searched this forum and tried many different solutions but none seemed to work for me. I would to see if there is anything else I could try before giving up on this mac.

Problem:

• Macbook is not booting consistently. When it does it will still on for a short time then shut down.
    • When the macbook does not boot, the magsafe charger flashes orange and green
    • When the macbook does not boot the fan spins then stops and then spins again.
    • When the MacBook does boot the battery has an 'x' through it and says no battery available.
    • When I check the battery status on the side of the macbook it blinks green for only one light.
    • Macbook does not respond at all when the macbook is not connected to the magsafe charger
    Trouble Shooting:
    • Tried two working magsafe chargers
    • Disconected battery and reconnecting it.
    • SMC reset
    • PRAM reset

My next step would be to replace the battery but I also found out there may be water damage involved. If the logic board is damaged would it be able to boot at all?

Thank You,

Alex

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Depends on the precise nature of the resulting component damage (which you are unlikely to be able to tell from a visual inspection). Frankly it could be hard to determine without swapping components.

3. awill94 thread starter macrumors newbie

awill94

I guess I could order a battery online and hope it works ?

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Maybe try free stuff first - like trying a different MagSafe charger (borrow one, or ask if you can try one in an Apple store?)

5. awill94 thread starter macrumors newbie

awill94

I've used 2 different MagSafe chargers and know both work. Verified it with a working mac. I'm thinking its the battery or logic board. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to narrow it down the logic board without spending more money. Thank You!

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Have you tried taking it to an Apple store and getting a repair estimate? That should narrow down the cause and cost.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Try booting without the battery, it should throttle and run very slow as the mag-safe cannot provide enough current for full performance but if it boots and runs (albeit slow), that would point to the battery in addition to the battery symptoms it is showing.

8. awill94 thread starter macrumors newbie

awill94

Do you think replacing the DC - in board would work? I'm just having a hard time believing its the logic board because if I leave the magsafe charger plugged in, it will eventually boot.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Not enough information to tell either way. The only free thing I can suggest is booting without battery and see how stable it is. Blind component swapping will be a lottery.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If I were you... I would bring it in to Apple and see what they say. Find out what needs to be fixed then decide whether it is more cost effective to fix it or buy a new one.

11. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Thing is with an issue as complex as this Apple probably won't tell you what's actually wrong with the laptop - in most cases they simply provide a quote for their "fix everything" option, which is usually around $1200.

If OP can fix it himself, fantastic, but if not you'd be mad not to just buy a new laptop.

12. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I've never been to Apply store to such quotation but I think it may be possible to ask what's needs to be fixed. They can't just say $1200 for 'everything'.