Trying to repair my MBP (early 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iStayLifted, May 7, 2013.

1. iStayLifted, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

iStayLifted macrumors newbie

A couple months back my early 2008 model MacBook Pro 15" (A1260) died on me. I hit the power button, the fans flick on for one second and then turn off, the screen remains black, and all other internals seem to be off. The led on the front fades in and out, but othwise nothing appears to be working. I removed the hard drive and it is working fine. When the problem initially occurred I was able to get the machine to boot after a few hours by just cycling it on and off, but after about a week it died and I haven't been able to revive it since.

The machine in question was my workhorse for almost 5 years and was powered on for most of its life.

I'm 99.9% sure there is no liquid damage. I primarily used this machine at home so the only time it has ever fallen has been from the couch to the carpet, like 2-3 feet at most. It may have been plugged in to a surge protector when this problem occurred, but I'm not 100% sure.

How can I/should I troubleshoot for my hardware issue, or should I buy and install a replacement logic board?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. mykem macrumors regular

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Yeah, it's most likely the GPU. Your system finally kicked the proverbial bucket. New logic board, or new system.

My wife is using my Early-2008 15" MBP until it suffers the same fate. Once it does, she'll get my current MBP, and I'll end up with a new system (not necessarily a rMBP ... depends on what the best option is out there at the time of the need.)