Trying to restore 3.1.2 without 3.1.1 upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tsunawmi, May 13, 2010.

1. tsunawmi macrumors newbie

So my problem is this, I have a 16gb 3gs and it's running 3.1.2 and I jailbroke and unlocked it to use it with my current provider. I was playing a game two nights ago and it froze when I received a text message while playing the game. I did a hard reset and al so put it in dfu mode and nothing is helping. It now turns on but freezes on the apple logo boot screen then after about 5 mins it resets itself and does the same over and again. I tried restoring with the 3.1.2 ispw but I get the error that my device is not eligible to this action. If I have to restore and get stuck with the upgrade I'm gonna be left with a $600 paper weight cause it wont work on my current provider unless I can unlock it. This forum is a last stitch effort to save my beloved iPhone from from being sold, any and all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated thank you all.

UPDATE: I meant without upgrading to 3.1.3

Can a Moderator please fix the title from 3.1.1 to 3.1.3 thank you.

2. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Did you jailbreak for the first time before 3.1.3 was released? Did you click "Make my life easier" in Cydia when you first jailbroke? If so, you should be able to restore 3.1.2 using these instructions:

http://www.saurik.com/id/12

If not, your options are much more limited. Someone like dhlizard or thelatinist may be able to comment on the possibility of using Pwnagetool, but I don't know enough about it to tell you anything helpful.

Whatever you do, definitely don't restore 3.1.3, as that includes a baseband that is not currently unlockable.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Follow this to edit your hosts file to redirect to cydias server in case you have your SHSH's saved for 3.1.2
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7557
    Then it will let you restore to official 3.1.2
    If it still wont let you then you dont have the Shsh's for that firmware build.
    Do you have a tethered or untethered JB?
    If its untethered you can restore thru itunes to custom 3.1.3 IPSW made with pwnage tool.

4. tsunawmi thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright so I read the entire post about shsh blobs and signing and all that and I understand it somewhat but I didn't see how I could follow any steps given on that page. I did however follow the iClarified tut and I got the same error as I did before without that bit of text pasted in there.

I jailbroke my iPhone while 3.1.3 was out but I never updated I baught the phone running 3.1.2 and I have never updated anything through itunes.

I jailbroke using blackra1n and I don't know if that's tethered or not but that's what I used.

Thanks for the help so far.

Attached Files:

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Can you restart your iphone without having to run blackra1n in order for it to boot up again?
    If you shut off the phone and then try to power it on again does it go into the home screen or shows you the logo and asks to plug into itunes?

6. tsunawmi thread starter macrumors newbie

the only way I can turn off is a hard reset and when I turn it back on it's on a reset loop on the apple logo screen. I can get the itunes plug in screen and run blackra1n but after the reboot it just does the frozen on apple logo screen loop again.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like a tethered JB.
    You might be out of luck and probably will have to restore to the latest 3.1.3 and then wait a while for a new unlock to be released.

8. tsunawmi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup that's what I thought so I updated to 3.1.3 and now have a useless iphone.:(