Trying to restore from CCC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cap41, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I can boot up to my backed external HD. Im having afew issues with Iphoto. It hangs everytime i open it. Yes I have check disk perrmissions, and repair disk. and still the problem. seeing that i backed up only a few days ago. I figured i would simply use my backed HD...How can i make my imac HD restore from my external HD.

Thx

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

If I understand correctly you're trying to take your bootable clone back up from your external hard drive and copy back to your main internal hard drive correct?

If so what you do is boot from the external, start up carbon copy cloner, and set it to clone your external hard drive back to your internal hard drive. Then boot back from the normal internal main hard drive

3. oneEG6 macrumors member

That would work... but if it's just an iPhoto problem you should try a few simpler things out first. Does it work in another user account? Maybe delete your iPhoto plist, try reinstalling iPhoto. If these don't work I'd probably just archive and install the OS again from the disc that came with the computer, or a Leopard disc if you purchased/have that.

4. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

i upgraded via ilife 09 it worked fine...than stopped...i reinstalled ilife 09 but it did not fix the problem...iphoto starts ok..but as soon as hit an album or event or photo. i get the pin wheel of death...what is the plist, and where do i delete it from. I wont lose all my pictures will i?

5. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

how do you achieve and install OS again. I dont want to lose any data...i have everything backed up with CCC.

6. oneEG6 macrumors member

under your home folder (username)>Library>Preferences>com.apple.iPhoto.plist delete, or move that file to your desktop with iPhoto closed, then reopen iPhoto. If that does't fix it do the archive and install, and rerun all of your software updates.

put in your OS disc, reboot your mac while holding down the C key. Choose your language, follow the steps... you will see only 2 steps where they give you an "option" in the lower left corner of the dialog box, on the first one make sure the boxes checked are Archive and install, save users settings.

7. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update, I moved Iphoto to trash. I than reinstalled with Ilife 09. Restarted comp. everything working again. Than come back 5 hours later. (Comp sleeping) no working...I restart. Now working again.

Also, before restarting (comp) didnt fix. So for the mean time its working.