trying to restore iPhone 3GS, limera1n, tinyumbrella

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mattisfrommars, Dec 3, 2010.

1. mattisfrommars macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been using my iphone 3Gs with iOS 4.1 jailbroken with limera1n and I'm trying to restore it to its original settings as I've sold the phone on eBay.

When I tried to restore it, i downloaded an ipsw for 4.1, and tried to restore it using iTunes, but it failed after contacting apple.

I've tried to use tinyumbrella to override the authentication, but I'm not quite sure how to do this. When I plug the phone in it doesn't show up on tinyumbrella unless it is in DFU mode, and then the icon is a ? and it wont save the SHSH.

I've created SHSH files in cydia and emailed them to myself, but can't find a way to open them in tinyumbrella. I've also followed a tutorial on iClarified and appended the hosts file in the library (i'm on OSX).

Is there anything else I can try? Now when i try and restore it to the ipsw file, it always crashes at about 95% on the itunes window and just over half way on the phone and using tinyumbrella to kick it out of DFU mode isn't working

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Ensure you are using the most recent version of tinyumbrella. If you do not already have your shsh on file with cydia, or stored locally via tiny umbrella you won't be able to restore to 4.1 again.

You need to be running the tss server in tinyumbrella to perform this restore, or have otherwise manually edited your hosts file. If you have shsh files from some backup or another computer then you need to put them in the special hidden directory that tinyumbrella uses so it can see them. But if you have these files anyway cydia should have them and tinyumbrella could just redownload them again.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

What @Hackthatphone advised. Your host files should look at this:

[​IMG]

4. mattisfrommars thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already added the host to the bottom of the file. Something (I assume TU) has added a commented out line to the bottom, but I guess that's not going to have an effect?

I only created the SHSH file this morning, after i've been updated for ages. Is it too late? I just need to get my phone back to some workable condition, it wont even turn on atm!!

Is there anything else I can try?

5. mattisfrommars thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you have 4.1 shsh's you can restore it to 4.1
    Just download the official 4.1 and use tinyumbrella.

7. mattisfrommars thread starter macrumors newbie

In the log file for tinyumbrella:
    PHP:
    12/03/2010 11:11:32.225 Found [0shsh files to cache...
    12/03/2010 11:11:32.229 Cached [0shsh files
    Where am I meant to be saving them?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, when you open up cydia what does it list on the top of the page.
    SHSH:

9. mattisfrommars thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, at the minute it doesn't say anything because I can't get into anything other than recovery mode or DFU mode.

It did say a whole bunch of numbers at the top, starting at 3.something up to 4.1 (i think). I made 2 SHSH files in SHSHit today, and emailed them to myself, hence the SHSH files for 4.1 and 4.2.1 that I have. But I can't find a way of opening them in TU, it might be some complete stupid way that I'm using the programs wrong

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You don't open them in Cydia. To restore your iPhone you can either edit your hosts files to the Cydia server or "Run TSS Server" in TU.

11. mattisfrommars thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, am I being incredibly thick here, how do i open the SHSH files in TU?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

13. mattisfrommars thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the links, I have seen both of those before however. My device only shows up on the left when it's in DFU mode, and then it comes up with a string of numbers and not the device name.

It's also not saving any files to the hidden .shsh folder, can i use the files I have created with iSHSHit and put them somewhere so that TU will see them?

14. mattisfrommars thread starter macrumors newbie

The last thing I've tried is enter pwned DFU mode using redsn0w, trying to install a custom ipsw i made in pwnage tool, got TU running with TSS server running. And it freezes at 95% every time :(

15. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Hi all...just trying to get clarification on how to use TU. I've saved my SHSH blobs for both our 3GS (bb5.13, new BR) and my iP4 (bb 1.59).

I'd like to upgrade and JB/Unlock both and remain untethered. I'm using PT 4.1.2 to preserve baseband. The custom IPSW's for both phones has been created. Just want to be very clear on next steps.

I use PT 4.1.2 to go into DFU mode then follow steps to update to custom FW in iTunes. When it tries to reboot, I use TU to kick it out. My question is if I'm using TU to kick it out of restore, I don't need to manually update the host file, right? I'm most unsure where to start the TSS server in TU and I can't find a iclarified doc that outlines this. (if you have a link to that, let me know)

Once the update has been done, UltraSn0w would still work on both the 3GS & iP4 and both phones would still be untethered, right?