iPad Trying to return an iPad Air to Walmart

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vapor22, Jan 2, 2014.

1. vapor22 macrumors newbie

I recently got an iPad Air 32GB in silver but I already own a Mini Retina which I'm happy with.

I tried to return it to Walmart (it still has the Walmart price tag on it) but they would not take it back without a receipt even though I said I would take credit/gift cards.

Called Apple and they said nope as well?

At this point, besides selling it, what options do I have? Anybody want to sell me a gift receipt :)

Really out of ideas and would love to hear suggestions.

Thanks!

2. jedolley macrumors 68000

If it was a gift you could ask the "gifter" if they have the receipt. If you bought it and don't have the receipt you could try and see if your Walmart can track down the purchase via your card (assuming it was not a cash purchase). Otherwise, I don't see them taking it back and if you still want to unload it, selling it is pretty much the only option.

3. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

"gifter" wouldn't be so happy u asked for the receipt.

I say sell it mint condition online.

4. 617aircav Suspended

5. vapor22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. I did ask the gifted for the receipt on the pretext of needing it for warranty but couldn't find it and lives in a different state :(

Alas, it seems that an online sale would only be my only choice. Was hoping to avoid that since eBay would charge you almost 13% in fees when you consider eBay and PayPal fees.

6. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Sell it on Craigslist and avoid the fees including postage. I have had a lot of success selling on Craigslist and meeting at a Starbucks to complete the transaction.

7. rajpatel macrumors regular

Yeah, I'd recommend Craig's list too. I sold my ipad on cl a week ago for 320 and then yesterday I sold my ps3 for 120. Dude didn't even test it, just met at target parking lot, paid and took it. And it was the 12 gb version which they only made for like two months starting this past oct

My point, selling on cl looks easy and I'm a lazy b-itch

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

How were you expecting him to test it?

9. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I would never buy an electronic device without powering it. Weird that he bought it in a parking lot.

You could have met him inside target, plugged it into one of their LCDs to prove it. :)

OP: Sell on CL, meet at McDs or Starbucks. If it is unopened, you'll get a great price. If opened, a little less. There was a rush of unopened Airs for sale on CL after black friday, as Target was giving a $100 gift card, so you could actually buy them for $50 under list. Seller was still ahead. Good deal.

Check your local CL to see what prices are.

ACTUALLY, I was at Apple store a few weeks ago, a guy took his unopened iPad4 that he just won at work party and asked to upgrade it. Apple store should be able to return it for a store credit, no? You can easily sell the credit at the Apple Store's door for 90+%.

10. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Sell it on Amazon, very easy, but you have to put a good price on it for it to sell.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

Yeah, this does not sound like a scam. You just joined, have an iPad air but no receipt. The person that supposedly gifted it cannot find/produce a receipt and lives in another state.

Sounds like it was stolen.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Respectfully, I disagree. All you can see are the prices for unsold items and have no idea sold items actually went for after any negotiations. Plus CL typically has a bunch of ignorant dreamers asking overinflated prices as well as penny-auction scammers listing items at lowball prices.

Better to look at ebay completed/SOLD listings to get a sense of what people are paying and what sellers are getting after fees (google ebay fee calculator). Also look at trade-in sites like Gazelle to identify the price floor.

----------

Careful here too - be sure you've read up on any return policy requirements. Might have changed, but at one time as a seller you had to allow for up to a 30 day return window.

Way to welcome a new user. :rolleyes:
    You've never lost/misplaced a Christmas shopping receipt before?

----------

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a gift receipt were tied to the device serial number. I know Target printed the serial on the receipts when I picked up a couple ipad minis during their black friday event.

13. GoCubsGo, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Mucho congratulations on your sales on CL.

vapor22, if you cannot return it to WalMart then you probably just need to sell it. I doubt you'll be able to use someone else's gift receipt because aside from your request sounding shady as all get out, it should have a serial # on it; or I would think that it would. I didn't know WalMart required receipts. The only two things I've ever returned there were done so without the receipt.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Off topic posts have been removed. Please stay on topic.

15. vapor22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've put it up but either the offers are low ($500) or asking me to ship (which I do not want to because they "paid" via PayPal)

I wonder if it could be a location thing with Craigslist? Like in some areas having more of a demand than others?

My concern with Amazon is the 30 day return policy. What if someone bought it and then decided to return it? Wouldn't I be left with an opened box and not be compensated for that?

Believe what you want. I'm just here looking for help and ideas. Not trying to scam anyone.

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe the WalMart I was at was just not having a good day? Will try and check with another WalMart and see what they say. This has been really helpful!

I thought the receipt would work because I got my rMini from Best Buy and they it was just the SKU code. Didn't see a SN anywhere. I guess WalMart could be doing it differently then.

Not sure why it would be shady but maybe I am not seeing something you are? I figured there was no serial number (my Best Buy receipt for my rMini doesn't have one) so it would not hurt to get one from someone who is happy with their purchase and not planning to return it. Apologies if it goes against the rules of the forums. Just a newbie figuring his way around.

16. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I never understand those people buying items on craigslist that are advertised as "sealed". Too easy to buy your own shrinkwrap machine on eBay these days.

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I know you are getting low offers, but taking a slight loss on money that you didn't spend anyway is better than nothing. I'd give it a few days and see of any better offers come in.

Good luck with the sale!

18. vapor22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'm not expecting to get the $599 + taxes that was originally paid for but offers for $500 for the Air seem on the low side?

19. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I think you have too high of expectations. You may be able to get $530, $540 for a new one on CL if you are lucky. People are not going to pay close to retail for an iPad off of Craigslist.

20. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

EDH is right. If they are only going to save $50 or so on a big purchase I think most people would spend the extra to get a new one with an option to return or exchange it should they need to.

I know it is still in the package and wrapping, but I would consider is second hand at this point.

21. vapor22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I was hoping for $550 but the highest I am getting is $500 which was surprising. Some are really low balling with $409 though. You suggesting to take the $500?

22. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

You may be able to get $550 depending on how long you want to try to sell it, but if you want to sell fast, you may want to take the highest offer during the next few days. With Craigslist you need to refresh every few days so it stays near the top of the list.

23. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

try a different walmart. don't they have a 14 day return policy of a gift card without receipt? very strange they're not taking it back

24. vapor22 thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my thought too. I'm guessing the employees are not familiar with that or they changed the policy.

25. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

Best thing two do is two sell it has new on eBay