Trying to Reuse Time Machine backup on 10.6

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by furcalchick, Jul 6, 2014.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

About a week ago, I had to do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.6 due to a hard drive corruption, and transferred all of my data from a Time Machine backup to the reinstalled hard drive. Last night, realizing that I haven't backed up in over a week, I decide to turn Time Machine back on, thinking it would resume the old updating, but instead, it started deleting my backup files. Thankfully, I stopped it before it deleted all my backups (and were probably going to be deleted soon anyway). I'm concerned if I try again, the rest of my backups will be toast as well. Also, I never got the prompt for reusing the backups either when I started this, it just decided to start deleting when I turned it on. Any solutions? Thanks again.

2. chrisrand macrumors member

Hopefully it didn't delete anything major in the process, but you can always try running Migration Assistant again.

1) Go to spotlight (top right magnifying glass)
    2) Type Migration Assistant
    3) Hit enter
    4) Follow the prompts

Hope that works for you

3. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

Wouldn't that restart the whole process of restoring the computer, taking several hours? Will that risk losing the week worth of data I built already?

4. chrisrand macrumors member

Yes, but you can always save the new week's worth of data to another drive and then do that process.

Maybe I am not understanding the problem completely, but let me try to figure it out here. Do you want to keep all your backup files in case you have old versions of files you want to keep, but since your backup drive is almost full, time machine is deleting these older versions?

If that's the case, buy a new larger external and clone the old backup to the new one using Carbon Copy Cloner.

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

I'm trying to have Time Machine inherit the backups of my previous hard drive, but the prompt to have that happen never came up. My Time Machine hard drive was down to the last 3 GB or so, and my boot drive is using about 60 GB of space as of right now. I was concerned that the Time Machine was going to eat every single one of my backup files, and I would have nothing left if I let it keep going. Or does it need to have the space to start establishing itself?

6. chrisrand macrumors member

Well you can do as I suggested and buy a new larger external, which you will need since you have only 3gb left and you want to save that stuff.

Take a look at what apple suggests you do

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

If your backup drive fills up

As your backup drive begins to fill up to its capacity, Time Machine intelligently deletes the oldest backups to make room for newer ones. It also alerts you if the "Notify after old backups are deleted" option is selected in Time Machine preferences.

Consider the following options if your backup disk is filling up often, causing your oldest available backups to be erased sooner than you might want:

Use additional drives for your backups, or transfer your backups to a new, larger drive using the steps in Time Machine: How to transfer backups from the current backup drive to a new backup drive.
    Tip: You can also browse the original backup drive for past backups by using "Browse other Time Machine Disks"--to see this choice, hold the Option key then click the Time Machine menu in the Finder (to see the menu, "Show Time Machine status in the menu bar" must be selected in Time Machine preferences.

Reduce the amount of information being backed up by adding to the "Exclude these items from backups" list in Time Machine preferences, as mentioned above. Your backup drive will fill up less often.

Delete file(s) that are no longer needed (such as from your desktop, Documents folder, or other Home folder locations), so they will no longer be backed up. You can also enter the Time Machine restore interface and find files that can be removed from the backup drive itself to conserve space. To do this, select the file(s) and from the Action pop-up menu (gear icon) in the Time Machine Finder window choose "Delete All Backups of...". Be sure to only delete files you are sure you won't need or want to restore later.

7. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

I realize that I was running out of space, and probably need a bigger backup drive soon anyway. What I was trying to convey is that I'm concerned that if I turn on Time Machine, the rest of my 240 GB worth of backups will be deleted as well, as it thinks it's a new computer, when it's a Time Machine restore. All that I would be left with is backups from today forward, and nothing from before the crash. If some more files have to be deleted for the new stuff, I'm okay with losing some more data, I just don't want to lose all of it, especially anything from the last few months.

8. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

Resolved

Okay, turns out it only deleted a few gigs more, just enough to fill a new Time Machine backup and it did inherit the backup of the old files. Thanks for the help though.