Trying to rid my used iMac of Windows 7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Melissa Runnels, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Melissa Runnels macrumors newbie

Howdy, all.

I've just been given an iMac that is running Windows 7 Pro OS. I want to remove it & replace it with Mavericks or the newest MacOS that is compatible. I've tried restarting +Option key, & the only start-up disk I get is Windows. I've tried looking for the hard disk partitions, but I'm still not seeing a MacOS of any stripe.

Is iit possible to completely wipe the original OS from an iMac? Or just to hide it?
    Really can't stand Windows & its infinite updates. I think it's also eating a huge amount of RAM....

2. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Do you have access to another Mac? You can put the installer on a USB key.

3. Melissa Runnels thread starter macrumors newbie

I can make that happen. Will the computer automatically configure things as separate disks/partitions?

Thanks,
    Melissa

4. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

Start up with an external disk or cd then erase the internal drive and then install.

5. Melissa Runnels thread starter macrumors newbie

If the MacOS is downloadable, I should be able to download to the external & then install from there, rather than using a disk -- true?

6. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Get on another Mac, download Yosemite, and use Lion Diskmaker to create a bootable USB key. (You need an 8GB key.) Lion Diskmaker will take a while, but do everything automatically.

Then, you can option boot into the drive selector. FWIW, I've found that it can sometimes take a while for the other boot devices to show up in the menu. Give it a minute, and you may even need to unplug and replug the key in.

----------

Yep.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This is exactly what you will need to do.

Post #3 in this thread is exactly what you need to do. This works for Mavericks going forward, and IIRC, at the very least requires Lion or Mountain Lion to work. This is actually the method Apple sanctions.

When you get this and actually do the OS X installation, just be sure to use Disk Utility to remove any other partition you see there, and reformat the entire drive. From there, install on your reformatted internal drive, and off you go.

BL.

8. Melissa Runnels thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Bradl & nrubenstein!

I appreciate the detail & the link.

Melissa