Trying to run ContentDM through VirtualBox on my Mac -- possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Khutso, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Khutso macrumors newbie

I am a library grad student with OSX 10.4. Our class is working with OCLC's ContentDM where we are creating metadata for a digital libraries project. My problem is that I have a Mac, and need to run a Windows exe file. The first step is to "Install the CONTENTdm 4.2 JPEG2000 Acquisition Station" and this calls for the “InstallAcquisitionJP2.exe” file to launch the installer on my computer. I have already downloaded VB. My question is this: Being that I have VB, what is the next step for me to be able to download InstallAcquisitionJP2.exe? Or is this just not possible? I saw that some research libraries in Illinois are working on a similar project so I would like to know how to do this with a Mac and not a PC of course. Here is the url at their consortium website: http://www.carli.illinois.edu/mem-prod/contentdm/cdmacq42jinstall.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions or need me to explain myself better. I am a research librarian and don't work with the highly technical aspects of librarianship as a matter of course.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need a copy of Windows, then install it in VB following the instructions. After windows is running, you'll be able to install ContentDM.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This WILL work, but you'll need to set up a Windows virtual machine in VirtualBox first (and you'll also need a Windows install disc, in order to install Windows inside the virtual machine). Once that's done, and Windows is working, launch the installer from inside the VM. If the file is on your Mac, you can make use of the shared folder feature to send the file to Windows.

4. Khutso thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect. I appreciate it. Have a good weekend.