Trying to save mid 2009 MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr.Lee, May 16, 2016.

1. Mr.Lee macrumors newbie

Mr.Lee

The original HD crashed so I replaced it with a new un-formatted identical HD. When re-installing the OS I am supposed to press the 'option' just after the beep sound on fire up.

The problem is that the Startup Manager never shows up but all I get is the pointer and a white screen. I also try to press 'C' or 'D' but nothing happens.

Is the laptop ready for the bin?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The pointer and white screen is the Startup Manager. Nothing displays on the screen because it's an unformatted HD, and it can't find any bootable volumes. You can try install an OS using an external installer, or through a USB/Firewire Time Machine backup if you already have one.

Otherwise, you can hold CMD + ALT + R on startup to boot into Internet Recovery, and try through that.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Unfortunately 2009 MacBooks don't have Internet Recovery, which first appeared in 2010 Macs.

With a new disk in this computer, you'll need either a pre-existing USB installer or OS X installer discs to get an operating system installed. Holding the option key at startup won't show any recovery options otherwise.

4. Mr.Lee thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr.Lee

Thank you for your replies.

I will get the OS disks from ebay.

Is there a license I need to buy (like windows) or will the OS work straight from the CDs?

5. chrfr macrumors 603