Trying to save money. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by oleslb, Jun 10, 2013.

1. oleslb macrumors newbie

OK this is a little tricky to explain but ill do my best. Let me know if you need more clarification.

So i'm looking to buy an Iphone (probably 3gs) and use it more like an Ipod and avoid getting the data charges due to the price. I also have a typical sliding cell phone with a $10 per month common texting plan. Next year i'm going to be on a campus that has wifi throughout the whole campus. So what I need to know is....
    Is there an application or something (even if the iPhone needs to be jailbroken) that will allow me to text people through my other phone and receive the text messages that are sent to my other phone to my Iphone so I don't have to carry both around with me when im in a wifi hotspot and will just have all text messages go through my iPhone?

Thank You!

2. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

In a way I think you might be able to use iMessage. I know you can use your Apple ID email address but not sure if you can tie that into your phone number from the other phone.

3. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

That's the guy with all the money! ;)

4. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

Why don't you just put your existing sim card in the iPhone?

You say you want to use it as an iPod but you also want to use it as a phone?

You can turn off cellular data if you want.

The only other option is to get your carrier to redirect your messages on your old phone to the iPhone but they may get suspicious and charge you more.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Get a Google Voice number. Install Talkatone on the iPhone and configure it with your GV number. Give out the GV number on campus. You can use Talkatone to talk and text and it's all free. You'll just need to stay on WiFi.

You can use an email address for iMessage.

What's good about Talkatone is that it does NOT require anyone else to install it or use it in order to work and you can call any valid number (including a landline).

This is what I was doing with my iPhone 3GS, which is unactivated and not my main phone.

6. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a