Trying to save pics off a bad hard drive.. HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by duelingdragons, Aug 20, 2010.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I have an old Macbook that recently took the plunge.. any time I boot, I get the folder with a question mark.

I tried booting from the install disc and repairing the disc, but it fails.

I bought a program called DiskWarrior, which has managed to at least show me some files, but when I go to save my old iPhoto Library, I can't find it.

There is no "Pictures" folder under /Users/Me...

am I screwed? Is there any way to find and save these pictures? :(

2. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

3. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Throw it in the freezer in a Ziploc bag (TIGHTLY SEALED) for an hour or two, then run it. If at all possible, run it sandwiched in icepacks (wrapped in paper towel) to keep it cold as long as possible.

4. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Get a copy of Data Rescue III. It will find files when DiskWarrior can't (as DiskWarrior won't check the drive blocks themselves, but instead only tries to repair the directory). It's not cheap either, but if this is stuff you really need to recover, it's well worth it.

jW

6. Evo-L macrumors member

Isn't a folder with a question mark a sign of kernal panic? Might want to look into that.

Does the drive tick? Is it physically broken, or is it a software problem?

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, a kernel panic is a crash of the underlying operating system, and is usually indicated to the user by a box appearing on the screen which tells the user to restart their computer.

The flashing "?" on a folder icon is indicating that the computer cannot find a valid system to boot from, which indicates either software issues that have resulted in a non-bootable system, or a failing drive, in most cases.

From the rest of the comments from the OP, I think it's safe to say the drive is probably dying.

jW

8. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Your only course of action is to use a company like these chaps-

http://www.dataphoenix.co.uk/?gclid=CPT2uO_p0KMCFWIA4wod6BEDug

I just looked HDD recovery companies up for you online and this lot seemed cheap. Only about 200 quid to recover a drive!

That may sound outrageous, but I suppose it depends how much people value the contents of their knackered drives. The job involves taking your HD apart in an utterly sterile and dust free room and then trying to extract the data using science and cleverness.

I know this is the very last thing you want to hear but I cannot help myslef, sorry. Backing up important data is a good idea.