Trying to Sell an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Davva, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Davva macrumors newbie

Hi all

My boss wants me to sell his iPhone for him and I am completely clueless so I'm hoping for a little advice.

The phone is a 16GB 3G iPhone and he was with AT&T.

I have been looking around the forums but I'm getting a bit confused.

My questions are:

1. Should I unlock the phone and if so what is the best way to go about it?

2. What is Jailbreak and do I need it?

3. Is there anything else I should do before trying to sell the phone?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Davva

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

FYI.

You can not do a software unlock without jailbreaking first. Also, you can not update the software without killing the jailbreak (and the unlock).

Start reading the hacks subforum. They have several stickies that will introduce you to jailbreaking. Also, start reading the posts. You'll start learning what the common issues are and how to use the magical power of google. :p

Jailbroken and unlocked phones tend to make more money. However, if the phone is looking trashed, that will decrease its value.
    BTW, I hope you're making some money off this.

3. tesilential macrumors regular

^^Do you really think he needs to be paid extra?

I wish I got to mess around with my boss' toys instead of working.

OP he gives good advice, read the stickies.

4. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

I sold 8gb iPhone 3G on craiglist over the weekend for $200.

It was on iOS 3.1.3 and jailbroken/unlocked. Almost everyone who contacted me was extremely interested in the fact it was jailbroken/unlocked.

It's extremely easy to do, but as the previous poster said, I encourage you to do some research as you will likely find whoever you sell it to has lots of questions.

5. Davva thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I will start reading the stickies.

And no, I wont be getting paid for it. :(

6. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

Selling the iPhone with the original box and accessories always increases the value. I don't necessarily believe that JB or unlocking will add any value to it unless you're selling to a complete newb, but just consider the consequences. You JB or unlock it before selling and it doesn't work for some reason. Are you or your boss prepared to provide tech support for it? With all the iPhones that I've personally sold, I restored it and got it past the Emergency Call screen, and that's it. What they do with it after that is up to them.

7. Davva thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you are right. I might just sell it as it is. I have just dl'd the 4.1 update without realising that would stop me using JB or unlocking.

I have the original box and cables and the phone is in good condition so I think I will just recommend he sells it like it is.

Thanks for your input.