Price Advice Trying to sell iPhone 3G to upgrade to iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dilbaggins, Dec 11, 2011.

1. dilbaggins macrumors member

I was just wondering how much do you think an iPhone 3G 8 gig would be worth if I sell it today? It's unlocked, has a couple of cosmetic blemishes (scuffs, scratches,etc.), and the on/off (sleep) button doesn't work but its in perfect running condition other than those flaws. Also do you guys have any tips on how to sell it on eBay? What should I watch out for and what should I make sure I do? Thanks guys!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Mod Note: This item is not for sale at MacRumors.

3. Fynd macrumors 6502

Good idea, but all I can say is good luck. :( The 3G is a dinosaur now and has very obvious performance issues, it's going to be an uphill fight trying to sell it. I have a 2 friends in a similar boat. If you can sell it, don't expect much!

4. dilbaggins thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I'm not looking to get much- maybe $80-$90 so I can renew my AT&T contract and get the iPhone 4 deal.

5. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

6. Thunderhawks Suspended

gazelle.com

$ 47 for normal use

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Or eBay Instant Sale: Good condition for $67.06.

8. photographypro macrumors regular

photographypro

craigslist

If you have it, sell it on Craigslist. Just meet the buyer at a Starbucks. After you demo the iPhone, erase the iPhone and pull the Sim card. Better yet, erase the iPhone before you meet the buyer, then pull the card before the buyer takes possession.

If you can afford to, buy the new iPhone first, and get everything transferred to the new iPhone, then sell the old one. Check Craigslist for prices. I sold my 3GS for $360 when the iPhone 4 came out, and bought the iPhone 4 for $360 including tax, FREE upgrade. You could get up to $200 for a 3G if it is in excellent condition, because in Europe they are worth a lot more.

My 64GB iPhone 4S sells for 850 euros in Italy, or $1170 american dollars.

9. lukebar macrumors newbie

lukebar

Looks like Radio Shack will give you a $100 credit guaranteed when you trade up to iPhone 4S. Only until Dec. 17th though.