Trying to sell mid 2010 17" on ebay but keep getting scams

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sfxguy, Aug 8, 2012.

1. sfxguy macrumors member

I'm trying to sell the mid 2010 Macbook pro 17" I replaced with a rMBP on eBay, but have had 2 people do the buy it now option then try to get me to go outside of eBay to use PayPal, but they just send me phishing scam fake emails that are not from PayPal.

Anyone know how to get this to stop?

Every time it happens my item is de-listed because it shows as sold.

This is a big pain in the butt.

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

There's not really a way to stop it. I use Craigslist now and have had success with that, but I always bring a group of people with me when finalizing a sale. I haven't had too many scam issues with eBay. It's a hit or miss.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You can require immediate payment with buy it now. If they fail to pay with paypal within minutes of the sale, their bid is cancelled and your item shows as available again. You can block users with 0 or negative feedback. You can require a confirmed paypal address. You can block shipment to regions you don't want to deal with. Take some extra time setting up the auction and at least some of these scammers will be blocked.

I, too like CL better than ebay but I still use ebay more often.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'd go with Craigslist too. With how much Paypal favors the buyer now. You could ship it have them lie and say it wasn't in the box then have Paypal take your money and refund the buyer.

Even though you don't get as much with Craigslist. You get cash and the difference gets made up for since you don't have the eBay and Paypal fees.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have been a seller on Ebay since 2000. Do as r0k states and you should be fine. And if you set up instant payment on the auction the buyer must pay immediately upon purchasing. Eliminate 0 feedback buyers. And only accept payment from a confirmed Paypal address. When mailing computer make sure you have it properly insured for total purchase amount and get delivery or signature confirmation on the buyers end. This will protect you from the buyer trying to tell you they never received it. Besides, purchaser has to pay all shipping expenses anyway. I have sold thousand of items on Ebay since 2000 and have never had to refund anyone as long as I followed these rules.

6. sfxguy thread starter macrumors member

I had no idea you could add those settings.
    I just ran through my listing but don't see any options to require immediate payment or block users with no feedback.
    Is there an option I am not seeing?

Thanks

7. sfxguy thread starter macrumors member

Found all the options except block specific users.
    But I changed it to not accept buyers with no feedback.

Hopefully that does it.

Otherwise I will use Craigslist.

Thanks!

8. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

Or you can try amazon, the fees are cheaper (when taking paypal into account) and I've never been scammed (or attempted to be scammed) to this day on there. (Sold quite a few things on amazon)