Price Advice Trying to sell my 15 inch MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spazzer4501, Aug 27, 2012.

1. spazzer4501 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've been using my 15 inch Macbook pro for a year now, and it has served me well, but now I'm looking for something with a bit more firepower.

Here are the specs:

2011 15'' MBP (Early 2011 model)
    Processor: Intel i7 2.2 GHz (Sandy Bridge)
    Graphics card: Intel HD 3000 with AMD HD 6750M
    Resolution: 1680x1050
    Hard Drive: 128 GB SSD

I should also note that my Macbook is in excellent condition. Throughout the entire year it hasn't strayed much farther than my desk at home. There is very little sign of cosmetic wear on it.

All that being said, I have two questions:

One, what website should I sell this through? I was thinking ebay but I would like some other opinions.

And two, how much do you think this machine could fetch? I was hoping somewhere around the low-mid 1000's range.

Thanks!

2. jefbond macrumors member

My experience

Well I've sold hundreds of things on eBay, both new and used. Personally I really like eBay for everything like this. I actually just sold my mid-2010 MBP about 2 weeks ago. Let me just give you details on my sale so you can guestimate what to expect by going the eBay route...

Mid-2012 13" MBP
    2.66 CTDuo (originally priced at $1499)
    • OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion clean install
    • 8GB RAM (2x4GB Crucial, lifetime warranty)
    • OCZ Vertex II 50GB SSD in OptiBay (no CD/DVD optical drive included) (1.5 years left of SSD warranty)
    • Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200RPM HDD
    • AppleCare Protection Plan (just over 1 year left of Apple warranty)
    • Purchased Oct 2010
    • No signs of wear; extremely good condition. Looks new.
    • MS Office 2011 and Apple iWork '09 installed free
    • New AC adapter
    I put it on eBay for 10 days of bidding. Price shot up almost $100 in last 30 seconds (of course). Sold for $965 + $20 shipping via FedEx.

I was satisfied with the sale. Granted, I put a lot of money in it, but I was expecting just below 1k. I like eBay for many reasons, and one of them on an item like this is Seller Protection. Basically it means that as long as you ship it with delivery confirmation and signature and provide eBay and PayPal with the tracking number, you're protected. If they buyer for whatever reason says you didn't actually ship it, you're covered 100%.

Now, here's the ONLY downside with using eBay. Fees. eBay charged me $90 in fees, and PayPal almost $30. Basically with eBay and PayPal fees, with buyer paying shipping, I got charged a total of 12% for fees.

Personally, I still think it was worth it. I don't trust anything else unless I personally know the person I'm selling to. Good luck on your sale, though!

3. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Use your local Craig's. Cash only. You should get between $1300-1400.