Price Advice Trying to sell my 2010 MBP, how much?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cramazing, Jun 27, 2012.

1. cramazing macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    so im thinking of selling my mid2010 13' MBP

Part # MC375LL/A

Original specs as follow;

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.66GHz
    4GB SDRAM RAM
    320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
    13.3-Inch Screen, NVIDIA GeForce 320M
    Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard Operating System

Since then i have added the following;

iOS Lion
    Parells
    Windows 7 Pro

Kingston 8GB ram upgrade
    Samsung 256GB SSD
    (also kept the stock 320GB HDD in the superdrive bay)

how much should i expect to get for this? and where can i sell it at?

Thanks!
    Fred

2. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Do an ebay search for your specific mac and see what they are going for. Then price yours accordingly.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

4. harrisonw1998 macrumors regular

5. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I would say around $900 because of the SSD and 8GB RAM.
    Just make sure you say OS X Lion, not iOS.;)

6. dljeffery macrumors regular

Isn't Lion bought as an upgrade licensed to the user (through their Apple ID), rather than the machine? I don't think it's transferrable unless it shipped on the machine originally.

Either way, $900 seems a lot closer to actual value to me than $500.

7. Jb07 macrumors 6502

If it's already installed on the computer I don't see how he could lose Lion.

8. dljeffery macrumors regular

Not saying he would lose it... just that I think it is licensed to him, not the machine. And if so that would mean the buyer would need to spend the $30 for their own license (well, actually just wait and spend $20 for a Mountain Lion license next month).

9. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Are you including the Parallels and Windows 7 license and disks?

What happened to the optical drive?

10. Jb07 macrumors 6502

Oh I see... I don't really know about that. I've never sold or bought a computer from someone else so I don't know how those things work.

11. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Well, this is the first OS where these issues arise. Traditionally if you were to sell someone a computer with an OS in order to make it legal, license wise, you would also supply the disk(s) for the latest OS installed (e.g. If the machine came with Leoaprd and you upgraded to Snow Leopard you would pass the SL disk along when selling the machine). However, with the new world of App Store/download licensing, the license is tied to your Apple ID not a physically transferable medium. Same thing applies for iLife, if you buy a new machine and accept the iLife licensing that arrives with the machine via your Apple ID, all updates on those products are tied to YOUR ID (username/password) on that machine and you cannot pass those apps along, without your Apple ID otherwise they cannot be updated. Brave. New. World.

12. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I see now... Wow. I guess the OP will just have to list the OS as Snow Leopard. I forgot Lion was download only.

13. BIS2 macrumors regular

I have a question about the Lion update....

Similar situation, I am about to sell my MBP. I bought it last year after Lion came out, but it was not installed on the machine - I had to download it. I saved the installer on a DVD. When I've sold computers before I've erased them and then updated the OS to whatever I had using the disks and software update....so how do I go about this in this situation? If I erase it and then reinstall Lion and include the disk, will the buyer be all set? Or if they ever have to reinstall Lion will it ask them for my password?

14. NStocks macrumors 65816

I'm also wondering the same thing as I will be selling my Snow leopard shipped, Lion upgraded 17" in a few weeks