Trying to sell my MBP.. where?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 7itanium, May 26, 2014.

1. 7itanium macrumors member

I have a late 2013 macbook pro retina, 13" 256gb, 8gb, etc etc

I am looking for a legitimate place to sell it.... I just cant afford the payments anymore... I dont have an ebay account and I really dont care for dealing with people face to face on craigslist because the town i live in is full of junkies and its pretty dangerous..

any mac, or general computer sales forums that are acctually active?

I am willing to take like $1200 for something that I paid over $2200 for 5 months ago... I need the cash, but I dont want to get ripped off either

2. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

So it's basically a sales ad in disguise? Anyways who pays $2200 for a 13" rmbp? Also, who makes payments on that? I can't really help you on where to sell it other than the obvious Ebay and Craigslist, but damn you got taken for a ride on that thing.

3. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

[​IMG]
    I bought it from the mac website lol..... it has 3 years of applecare and about 5 software bundles.... and a lot of people who cant afford to pay cash on it make payments.....

and no its not a sales ad in disguise... I am looking for a place to post one

----------

http://img0.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/19457/1945733020ba7ee001c1d368644aa4163cc0f7b3.png
    REALLY not that hard to fathom. its a nice machine.... I could make that checkout price go to like $3000 if I wanted to

so i dont really think I got "taken for a ride" anymore than anyone else who buys directly from apple

4. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

So you didn't pay $2200 for the actual laptop, you paid whatever the laptop was plus more for software and applecare, that makes more sense than what you originally wrote. I paid $1,300 for the exact same machine from Best Buy so I was confused. I'll never in my life understand why people make payments on a depreciating object. If you can't afford it why buy it? Not my money, but it's just hard for me to fathom the thought process. Good luck with the sale though.

I know I come off as a dick, but I hate seeing people make horrible financial decisions.

5. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

Yes the price I paid and some of what im asking is for the abundance of extras I purchased with it.

Not going to get into a dispute about weather credit is a good idea or not..... but I have to ask... did you pay cash for your house? financing can be just fine if you can afford the payments

I COULD have afforded it just fine had I not gotten laid off and lost my entire life savings

just trying to feed my family man... im really not in the mood for a dispute
    have a good one

6. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Is there a college in your town that may have a "For Sale" bulletin board?

7. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

My home is the only thing I've financed and that's because it is an investment, I pay cash for all my cars, electronics, appliances and anything else that loses money over time. A home is one of the rare exceptions that you can make money off of financing it. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Take care.

8. dazz87 macrumors 6502

Craigslist but make sure you bring backup......:cool:

9. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

Ya thats not a bad idea.. thanks!

10. mixxy, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014

mixxy macrumors newbie

If he wanted financial advice, he wouldnt have come to a MacRumors forum. No one asked you for an opinion about how to spend their money. If you arent going to help, dont bother posting. Its that simple.

Its unreal what some people will spew out at others' decisions.

@OP you can try Craigslist, eBay, Notebookreview forums (probably not the best value there since most members are PC lovers), you can even try XDA forums.

Use PayPal if you are going to do a shipping deal. Or Cash/Certified Cheque if you are doing something local. Another option is posting your laptop for sale on Craigslist in a more safe town and travel there to sell your laptop - but this might not end up being economical if a safe town is far away.

Thats the best advice I can give you. Hope everything works out for you!

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What may be a horrible decision for you may be entirely appropriate for someone else. The world doesn't have to conform to your preferences. Live and let live.
    Setting up an eBay account is free. I agree caution should be exercised when selling on Craigslist. There are other sites that will buy your Mac, but you'll lose quite a lot going that route. eBay is probably your best bet.

12. Richyrich1975, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014

Richyrich1975 macrumors member

Selling a big value item like a Macbook Pro on ebay is going to be tough with 0 feedback.

I know I wouldn't buy off a seller with zero feedback.

Good luck on shifting it though!

13. Flight Plan macrumors regular

Flight Plan

Maybe he could try Gazelle. They buy all sorts of old hardware, cell phones, tablets, laptops. I'm not in the business of advertising for anybody so Google for it.

14. puma1552 macrumors 601

Get off his back, there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who financed their home just like you and it too ended up being a depreciating liability contrary to what history said for the last 100 years. Therefore you shouldn't have bought a house either if you had to finance it since by the very definition of your own unsolicited gospel, you must not have been able to afford it. I love how cash-only-holier-than-thou people ALWAYS make an exception for themselves buying a home, even though those have proven to be just as bad a buy as a car or anything else in this day and age.

To the OP, sell it here in the marketplace when you get enough posts.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

At the OP's historical posting rate, that would take about 4 more years.

16. Flight Plan macrumors regular

Flight Plan

LOL, by then he'll have paid it off! :D

----------

Question for the OP (or anybody who can answer):

Do software licenses transfer to new owners?

17. mixxy macrumors newbie

The short answer is yes, the complicated answer is "it depends on the software"

Yes. Software licenses are attached to systems and/or users and, can be transferred.

18. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

what are the requirements for posting in the marketplace?

19. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

500 posts and 6 months membership.

Barney

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Marketplace Rules
    No, it's 250 posts, not 500.

21. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Sorry, my mistake, it is 500 posts for an Avator.

Barney

22. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Your welcome. Good luck!

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd recommend craigslist, over ebay partially for the lack of feedback and partially for the fees and hassle you go through.

As mentioned, we do have a marketplace forum but you need to be a member for 6 months and have 250 posts to gain access.

24. MUWarrior10 macrumors member

You might want to check out gazelle, I am not sure what you would get for it, but in terms of convenience you can't beat it.

25. Plerf macrumors newbie

Craigslist.

Insist on cash, meet in a public place (coffeeshop, library, etc).

Bring a friend, if you are still worried about f2f.

Also, don't expect anyone to buy your software. (If you do expect them to, make sure you know how to transfer the licenses to the buyer.)

In fact, I'd go ahead and say that you should return the machine to a clean OS X install - keep your software licenses and re-install the software when you get another Mac (or see if the licenses transfer to equivalent PC software.)