Trying to set up a surround sound system!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SpideySwag, Oct 20, 2014.

1. SpideySwag macrumors newbie

Hey guys, how can I connect my surround sound to my macbook pro? Everything is done except for the connection between the subwoofer and my Mac. My question is what do I need to connect this cord (shown in picture) to my mac? is it even possible? thanks for the answer in advance!
    :D

Attached Files:

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Does your Receiver have an optical port? What verson of receiver are you using?

3. SpideySwag thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure if there's an optical port since I don't know what that is. The system is a Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System with Surround Sound, 70 Watts (RMS) and 5 1/4-inch Subwoofer :confused: wonder if that helps..

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

With a simple search, those three cables need to go to:

green to front L/R (or #1)
    black to rear L/R (or #2)
    orange to center / sub (or #3)

Basically you need to buy a USB surround sound card with those exports

5. mfram macrumors 65816

Those speakers are designed to be plugged into common PC motherboard surround sound connectors. Macs really don't have those connectors. I don't think these speakers do surround processing on their own given their price.

Assuming you want real surround sound, you have a couple options:

1. Find a USB sound device that has compatible 3.5mm outputs and plug that into your Mac. I don't know of any off-hand.

2. Find a surround-sound processor that can take optical in and has speaker outputs compatible with the 3.5mm jacks you have. Again, I don't know of any off-hand.

But even if you go either of these routes the surround sound is only going to work if you have Dolby-Digital encoded movies. iTunes isn't going to create 'virtual' sound-sound for you. An external surround-sound processor is needed to convert stereo music into virtual surround-sound.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

7. SpideySwag thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the inputs everyone, always appreciate the knowledge and the willingness to help on this forum. But it turns out just plugging the green one in worked (initially my itunes volume was too low for me to realize that it was working).

Thanks again everybody!

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

That won't give him surround sound. It just splits the stereo signal into 3 pairs.

----------

You are only getting stereo (2 channel) sound. If you want surround sound you will need an external DAC. If you are just listening to iTunes music then stereo is all you need.