Trying to set up an expanded wi-fi network for airplay

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wellsws, Mar 30, 2011.

1. wellsws macrumors member

I have an Airport Extreme and Airport Express at home. The extreme is hooked up to the internet (my primary wi-fi network) backs up my Mac mini, etc... I want to hook up the Express to my home stereo so I can use Airplay to play music. Can I use the Express to connect to the Extreme's wi-fi signal to make that work? I tried it using the Airport software and could not connect to my stereo. The only way so far that I can make it work is to make the Express a completely separate network (that isn't connected to the internet). If I do it this way I have to manage which wi-fi network I'm on at home and I don't really want to do that. Any ideas to make this work? Hopefully what I said makes sense. I can elaborate if I need to.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

set the express up to join the network from your extreme.

the easiest (and most reliable) way to do this is to wire the express to the extreme (or your mac) via ethernet, and set it up, once configured you can unplug and move it to where you want it.

3. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I set my Express up wirelessly to extend the network off my Time Capsule. On the Airport Extreme you would need to have the box checked to "Allow this network to be extended." And on the Express you would choose to "Extend wireless network."

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

If you don't have the need to extend (your already covered everywhere you need signal), i wouldn't. there is a speed drop that comes with extending that apple really doesn't talk about, the repeater is using half of it's bandwidth to talk to the main, and half to the destination, so your speeds will drop by half if you're connected to the repeater.

you're better off having it just join the network.

5. wellsws thread starter macrumors member

How do I make Express "join" the existing Extreme network? Is that different than extending?