Trying to set up new MBP, cannot from Time Capsule

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Philpug, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Philpug macrumors member

I am using a Time Capsule and trying to transfer to the new MBP. I am at the "Transfer Information to this Mac" stage on the new computer and I am seeing for my backup "Phils Macbook" it has "No volumes found in Backup" below it. If I go back a screen there is also "Time machine Backups" with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark. If I click o that, I get "The selected course cannot be used for migration. This source contains a newer release of OS X. Your Mac requires an upgrade before you can migrate froths source" Does this mean that the new MBP does not have 10.10, I I need to install it on that? If so how do I then load from my back up? I just backed up from my older Macbook, that I am typing this on so I know there is a back up.

What am I missing here? Help Please.

2. Pjrufus macrumors 6502

Click on the apple in the finder, then 'about this mac.' That will tell you which OS version you have.

3. Philpug thread starter macrumors member

It showed that the new one didn't have 10.10, I am loading it now then will try migration assistant again.

4. Philpug, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

Philpug thread starter macrumors member

I updated to 10.10 but when I go to migration Assistant, it only see's my wife's backup, not mine on the time capsule. If I try to do Migration Assistant from computer to computer, it says there is already a user with that name on the computer and it doesn't allow me to replace it.

Should I just make a new user on the new computer then delete my old one, then use that name? 240+ views and one reply?