trying to setup a external hard drive wirelessly for time machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brows, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Brows macrumors member

What i have:

2011 early macbook pro
    shaw wireless cable modem (has a usb port on the back) cisco brand
    WD my book external hard drive

I've tried just plugging the hdd into the back of the modem but im not seeing anything come up on the network. Im relatively new to mac and theres lots i don't know about computers. Can i make this work? I want to set up time machine on this drive so i dont have to keep plugging it in and it does the backups in the background. any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Brows

2. simsaladimbamba

Does your modem have a manual (off- or online), which can explain, how to setup an external HDD connected to the modem?
    Can you access the modem via your browser (192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 are typically the address of the router or modem/router combo) and see, if there is some setting in the settings?

3. Brows thread starter macrumors member

well it looks like this is a bust... i stumbled upon a site talking about this modem(from shaw) and in the tale end of the topic they are talking baout the usb on the device. looks like its just another way of connecting... they go on to say that it isnt made to or has no provision to hook up a printer to and turn a printer wireless. so im assuming here that that also means the same for a harddrive turning it wireless.

thanks for the post but i guess im dead in the water here.

heres the link that i found on it.
    http://troyfontaine.com/2011/11/cisco-dpc3825-from-shaw-clearer-answers/

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I don't know about your router, but it should have some kind of drive configuration panel built into the router software.

My Airport Extreme is hooked up to my 1TB external drive. When I plugged it in, it just worked. I set a drive password and made it visible to anyone on my network.

Check your router's help manual. It should have something on the issue.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

A Synology NAS will work as a Time Machine on your Shaw router. The DS110j is an excellent entry level NAS.

6. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

I think they changed something in lion to make it even more complicated to do a networked "time machine".

I have a windows home sever 2011 box, and a maxtor nas. And both required hacks to make it work (actually I am not even sure the NAS would have worked regardless).

Just something to keep in mind if you are going to try to get this setup working for you. As I spent about a week trying different configurations. Ended up buying a time capsule and 10 minutes later was up and running.

7. Brows thread starter macrumors member

Yah i ended up going that route also. 2TB time capsule just waiting for it to get here

Thanks for the info everyone