Trying to setup automatic ftp backup on macbook pro. Having problems with permission

Discussion in 'macOS' started by danielw, Oct 4, 2010.

1. danielw macrumors newbie

I have a Dlink dns-323 NAS that is also functioning as an ftp server. I have no problems writing to it from windows based machines (imagine that). My dad has a macbook pro and all of his business invoices etc. are on there and I want to setup an automated ftp backup that will run once a week. The program I am trying to work with is called Bonkey. It's fairly straightforward to setup but everytime I try to run the backup it acts like it is copying all the files but then it gives an error "unable to create directory". This is odd to me because it DOES actually create a directory in the ftp folder but it doesn't write any files into it. I know all the permissions are set correctly on the box but for some reason if I access the ftp server through safari and it opens in finder, when I look at the info it says the permission is read only. Do any of you guys have any idea how I can get this working or can you recommend a program that will work better?

I've also tried the free trial of parachute and I get some generic error code.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

no.
    I can tell you that finder is limited to read only FTP
    i use cyberduck for all my ftp needs, and bumping is against the forum rules.

3. danielw thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that finder is limited to read only, that would be why I'm using 3rd party software... Does cyberduck support automated scheduling of ftp backups?

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've used the FTP application "Fetch" to write files to my DNS-323. It works fine.

What happens when you try to move the files over using Finder? That works properly for me -- the DNS-323 appears in Finder, I open it, and then either via drag & drop or cmnd-C/cmnd-V I move stuff over.

I did run into a problem a couple of years ago, and I think it was that the DNS-323 didn't like the .DS store files -- that's when I used FTP.

I'm sorry to say I can't remember how I got regular Finder transfers to work.

Have you updated the DNS-323's firmware? The latest is 1.09. Be careful with updating from an early version . . . there was one update that put your data at risk.

5. danielw thread starter macrumors newbie

^ it sounds like you are doing stuff inside the same lan. I'm talking about outside of the lan over the internet in which case finder grants you read only access. I've used another program to do an initial backup of the data via ftp which worked. However it doesn't support automatic scheduled backups. I just find it hard to believe that there isn't a WORKING piece of software out there that does this.

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Ah, that's true (about LAN).

However, my DNS-323 is set up as an FTP server also -- for when I needed it because regular file copying stopped working, and it works properly without permissions issues.

Fetch can interact with Automator. I took a very quick look at the Fetch documentation and it looks as though it might do what you want.

Fetch has a mirroring procedure which might work for you.

I think they have a free trial period.

7. danielw thread starter macrumors newbie