trying to ssh into another mac and having problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by newmacuser23, Oct 30, 2010.

1. newmacuser23 macrumors member

I turned on remote login on the mac I wanted to ssh into and typed in what I was told to by the remote login preference pane which was

ssh AccountName@Mac-Name.config

and the terminal returned the following ssh: Could not resolve hostname Mac-Name.config: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

Does anyone know what is wrong and what the solution is?

Thanks

2. wpotere Guest

Lack of a good DNS server? Try using the IP of the computer instead.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The .config seems odd. It's usually .local. From Terminal, what does it show when you type in hostname? If you change the machine name recently you may need to reboot for it to fully take effect. Also, are the machines on the same network?

4. newmacuser23 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I typed in hostname and it came back with what I was already typing in so I tried the ip address at first no success but I had gone to one of those ip checking websites and they seemed to have given a incorrect ip because when I checked in system preferences the address was slightly different so when I put the address in from system preferences it worked.

Now I can scare someone out of their wits they know nothing about macs and I know you can make a remote mac talk through ssh so tonight they are going to think their mac has got infected this is going to be fun LOL

5. wpotere Guest

Ummm... I do hope that you are doing this to people you know and on your own network. If you doing this anyplace else, it is considered hacking and you could get in trouble, especially if you are on a work or college network. Do not think that people can't see what you are doing.

6. diyguy macrumors newbie

from my understanding, you can only ssh into someones computer on your local subnet?? that is why when u went to the ip check site, not that it gave u the wrong ip, it gave you your external ip and it didnt work, u need to use your internal ip found under the sys pref...

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No, that's not true. You can SSH into any machine that has a SSH daemon running and is allowing connections. I do it all the time for my web host, which is several states away.

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

9. diyguy macrumors newbie

thanks for correcting me, like i said i wasent sure on that :)