Trying To Suss Out Hows And Whys

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The Chuckster, Jul 12, 2007.

1. The Chuckster macrumors newbie

Hello, all. Another new Mac owner here with a couple of questions I, for some reason, can't find a short answer to (yes, I've got the Pogue books, but can't find a solution in them, unfortunately). If anyone has good, short answers to these, I'd be in your debt:

1. I've copied all my PC files onto disc for moving to the Mac, but the Internet Favorites files all/only show the name, not the URL. I've got almost 1,600 files and can't even remember the URLs anymore. Can anyone tell me how to either discover the URLs in the PC for transfer, or what I need to do to enable Safari to discern what the URLs are?

2. How do I play .wmv files in a Mac? I've tried downloading the newest Real player and updating the iTunes and Quick Time, but none of these can discern the .wmv files as movie files.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    The Chuckster
    cmk59@yahoo.com

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

How are you trying to move your Favorites? Did you export them as an .html file?

What browser are you trying to import them to on the Mac? For pretty much all of them, it should be straightforward to import them from the .html file.

3. The Chuckster thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying to Suss Out...

Thanks to iHerzeleid for the link to the program site; I was just hoping there was a plug-in that might enable playing the files. I'm kinda tapped right now (a Mac Pro can do that to you), so it'll be awhile before I can buy anything more.

As to the file migrations, I'm not a techie, so the only way I could think of to migrate the files was to copy the PC's 'Favorites' file onto a disc to transfer to the Mac, as I did with the other files. Unfortunately, the Mac doesn't show URLs like Windows does when the cursor hovers over the file name. I don't know how to discern the .html itself in the PC's Favorites file. (Can ya tell I dunno a lot about this?:D

I'm sorry to be so dense, but I pretty much need to be hand-held through the process, from accessing the file folder on the PC to migrating it, unless you can tell me how to discover the .html in each folder entry, such as the following, as copied from the Favorites folder:

Acclaim Images - gas pump photos, stock photos, pictures, ga.url.fileloc

I'm open to any and most all remedies!
    Chuck

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Flip4Mac is free...at least the components you need to be able to play WMVs are. Only more advanced stuff requires you to pay up.

As for the bookmarks:

1. Open Internet Explorer and choose "Import and Export" from the File menu.
    2. Export your Favorites and save the file as "Favorites.html" on your desktop.
    3. Move the file to your Mac.
    4. Open Safari and choose "Import Bookmarks..." from the File menu.
    5. Select the "Favorites.html" file and it should import everything perfectly.

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Download VLC and Mplayer. Between those two you can play practically anything.

6. The Chuckster thread starter macrumors newbie

.html transfers

First, thanks for the media players...they ROCK! The Mac learning curve's a bit steep for a 20-year PC user, but now that I've been 'brought over,' I'm determined!

Second, I've imported the files, but they all show up as six Microflatulent files that aren't selectable...kinda a gray color, as if the Mac can't read 'em. With this showing up, the Mac won't let me import the documents. Did I miss something here? Also, how did 1,500 Web URLs become six entries in the file on my Mac when they all showed up on the PC?

Thanks again, and I apologize for being a pain!

Chuck

7. The Chuckster thread starter macrumors newbie

...html woes

Disregard last message. Apparently, using my flash drive didn't work well, so after my last post I repeated the process, and copied the file to a CD-R, which I then copied to my desktop. Problem solved! Thanks again, demi-gods!

Chuck