Trying to switch over

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fix3r, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Fix3r macrumors newbie

I have been trying to switch over from windows to mac for a while now. However, I don't know where to go from here and it would be great if any of you guys could help me out with a few things.

Right now, I have a

dell dimension 4600 (xp pro)
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    2.99GHz, 512 MB of RAM

I can't go buying a $2k computer though however .. my budget is pretty low ;\

I am looking for a laptop that won't be slow, but still reasonably fast for computer use .. I will use it for every day activities .. probably install xp on bootcamp meaning it will have to be an intel mac for occasional games and programs needed to be ran on xp

I won't really be able to spend more than $1k on it so if there is any possibly way that you think I would be able to enjoy the good qualities of a mac that is under a grand .. shoot me to the right direciton.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well you can go with Apple Certified Refurb. It comes with full warranty, just as new machines. MacBook will fit within your budget.

Go to store.apple.com
    Near the bottom right corner there is a link for Special Deals
    On the next page, select Mac

The listing changes. Sometimes there are nothing, sometimes there are a number of items. Current example,
    Refurbished MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Combo drive is $849

You can also call a local Apple store and ask to see if they have any refurb MacBooks. Hope this helps.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Any refurb MacBook will be faster than your PC. You could probably pick up a Core 2 Duo MacBook with 1G of RAM for about $1000 in the refurb shop. Keep your eyes open. The online shop is restocked at around 5:00AM EST each morning.

4. Fix3r thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, I'll probably be looking into these refurbished laptops .. though I need to save a little bit more money :)

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

You might be able to find a used macbook pro on ebay for around that or within a couple hundred of it. :apple:

6. jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

Bought a refurbished 2,66 from Amazon for $2004.. no issues.. well, not with the box anyway.